Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2011 12:00

Factory Reset

Hello,

I want to Restore my laptop to the original factory settings. I have the recovery CDs that I made after buying the laptop, but I don't have an OS disc (I don't know if they are on the Recovery discs but I don't want to take the risk!) My old laptop had a problem when I tried to do a reset and the OS didn't install.

Can anyone tell me how to do it, and have the OS install as well? I am running Windows 7.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 5th, 2011 12:00

Follow my guide below for a clean install via Disc. It will tell you where to download Windows 7 and all else you need. Ensure that you install things in the correct order and tell you how to activate via phone.

Other useful software is available also.

October 5th, 2011 13:00

Umm, is there any easier way? My friend said something about hitting F8 and going to Advanced Boot Options? As long as this option also includes my OS.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 6th, 2011 14:00

Yes you may go to factory settings that way. The other was a guide in doing a clean install in case something went wrong or in case you preferred a clean install, actually I overwrote it to make sure no-one gets stuck and included some optional steps, so it is nowhere near as complicated as it looks on first glance.

The factory settings may be reached by:

Powering down your computer > Tap F8 repeatedly as you Power it Back up and then select Repair My Computer > Dell DataSafe Local Backup > Factory Settings.

No Events found!