Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2012 15:00

Factory backup win/8 fails after one cd worth, it needs three to complete

Hello, on a new dell Insperation i5 system, just rec, tring to backup factory settings the system will not take the second cd, I tried about ten new cd, none would work.  Any ideas would be helpfull.  Thanks - Jim

13 Posts

December 8th, 2012 05:00

@Sam Eto,

Some one here stated that they upgraded the dell support center software itself to a new version not sure if that would help but its still worth a try whats your laptop model?

5 Posts

December 8th, 2012 09:00

@Sam Eto In my post above, I mentioned I was able to resolve this by installing all updates for my system including the BIOS. The key part appears to be the BIOS. To download the BIOS, in my case, I had to select to show All files, and not just filter by Service Tag. Also be sure to set Operating System to BIOS. Then it shows up. If you already have this update, it will not harm your system. It's worth a try, and in my case resolved the problem of not being able to create Recovery Media. Good luck.

December 11th, 2012 06:00

Hi novehs 

Karina from Denmark here.

I have been informed, that you have issues with creating the recovery discs, and I will just inform you, that I have taken over your case, and will contact you in a private message

I am sorry for the inconvinience the problem may have caused you.

Best regards

Karina Hansen

#IWork4Dell

5 Posts

December 11th, 2012 08:00

Hi Karina,

What about the rest of us who have had these same issues?  May we contact you also about the recovery discs?

16 Posts

December 11th, 2012 13:00

Hi Karina

Yes, what about the rest of us with the same problem. Could we please have the recovery discs sent to us?

Thank you.

December 11th, 2012 22:00

@PintoZack & cmb2012

I would really like to be able to assist you too, but I am unfortunately only able to ship items within the Nordics, which I handle.

I will make sure to get someone from the US team to reach out to you with a solution. If you are located outside the US, please let me know, so I can make sure you get in touch with the correct reps.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Karina

943 Posts

December 12th, 2012 08:00

Hi

Would request all the People who are facing any problems while creating recovery media from Dell Data Safe Local backup, please provide me following information so that we can help you in a better manner.

1)     Service tag or Express service code of the system.

2)     Country of purchase.

3)     Current BIOS version.

4)     Screenshot of the error message which you are getting while creating recovery CDs.

I would also request all of you to update latest version of system BIOS from support.dell.com and try to create recovery CDs again that might help you. I would also request all of you to provide me above details in a private message only.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell

3 Posts

December 17th, 2012 18:00

I too had a brand new inspiron 17rSE with WIN 8 , went to create the backup and it would only write one disc and never accept the second one.

Ramorci has the right answer, update the bios and the factory backup will then write all the discs.

Why Dell can't tell us this i don't know, they say to update the Backup and recovery app but thats already up to date! It's the bios that needs updating!

4 Posts

December 18th, 2012 18:00

I got a 17r se today too.  I turned the computer on the first thing I did was try to make backups it does disk 1 fine then no disk 2 or beyond.  Tried rebooting, bios update (already newest), tried the utility 1.0.0.2 backup update which was the newest also.  Still doesn't work.  Yes i'/ve tried reboots and several disks.  If this isn't working I shouldn't have to pay the restocking fee when I return it within the 21 days. 

Surprised there is still no fix. 

i7 3rd gen

1tb

650m

3d

8 gigs ram

17r se

1 Message

December 30th, 2012 09:00

I just got my XPS8500 i7 desktop 2 weeks ago and have a new BIOS A09.  I also got the same problem with laptop/notebook.  The factory backup of my desktop made the first DVD file and then an error showed up. Back up stopped then.  I experienced with three repeated failures.  Very disappointed.  Then tried to use my 16 GB USB drive, it also failed as the system was spinning in hours and was not able to start any task for factory back up.  I am wasting a whole night of my time.  Help really needed.

3 Posts

December 30th, 2012 11:00

No idea on that particular model.

But I've heard of others who have solved the issue by turning off their bluetooth, and some by flicking the switch on the wireless to off. Might be worth a try.

Have you tried livechat with technical support? Only do this when you have plenty of time though, getting support can be a long winded affair.

5 Posts

January 16th, 2013 02:00

Hi,

I had the same problem with my Inspiron 17R SE 3D (BIOS A11).

I hope you all have found a solution to this problem by now, but if you haven't here's a simple one that worked for me without updating the BIOS.

I connected an external USB DVD-drive and selected that in the list the backup-program shows when you want to create the Backup Media.

After the first disc was ejected, I put the next one in the external drive and closed it.

I didn't click on "OK" at the bottom of the screen but just waited and after a few seconds the second disc was created.

After the fourth DVD was ejected a message on the bottom left of the screen indicated that all backup-discs had been created succesfully.

Good luck!

Michael

1 Message

January 29th, 2013 21:00

I have the same problem. Brand new 17rSE I updated the BIOS and still can't create more than the first DVD. There is no error message. First disk burns fine, then, when it asks for the next disk, no matter what disk I put in, it spins and ejects it.

I've requested disks from Dell support, but haven't heard.

1 Message

January 31st, 2013 18:00

I have the same problem with my new 17R.  The Update page has 20 updates I will install them all.  So far I have wasted 3 blank DVDs and 2 hours.  If Dell has sold 10,000 17R systems with this problem and it takes an average of 3 hours to get it fixed.  Thats over 3 years of customer time wasted.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 31st, 2013 19:00

Use a 16 gig or larger USB flash drive.  Sandisk Cruiser FIT.

No Events found!