Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2015 11:00

Fan noise on XPS 13 (9343, Early 2015)

Hi,

I just received my XPS 13 and the fan noise is louder than I was expecting.  It is on almost constantly and will spin up and down repeatedly.

Is this normal, all I have really done is install office and some other apps.  Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks for any advice offered

March 22nd, 2015 09:00

Dell has released a BIOS update today, version A02, which claims to contain fan control improvements.

Might wanna give that a try, check the support section.

23 Posts

March 22nd, 2015 14:00

In my case A02 did absolutely nothing in that Dell Power Command still doesn't work and the fan barely powers up any more. Not only that the system was stuck at 600mhz. It took resetting the power profiles to default settings and reboot to see the multiplier jump up and down again past 2200 MHz all the way up to 2400 MHz turbo setting. So I got what I asked for. Its really quiet now. Just hope it doesn't over heat as I never hear the fan anymore.

23 Posts

March 22nd, 2015 18:00

Honestly I'm not sure what I did but I'll summarize the steps:

1. Returned laptop for another one of same model

2. Ran Windows update.

3. Updated all system chipset drivers including intel management interface framework, and thermal platform from the Dell support download page

4. Updated trackpad firmware, video  and wifi drivers

5. Installed Dell Command Power Manager and set it to quiet (this worked immediately)

6. Upgraded bios to A01 then to A02.

Only thing is I can't get the fan to spin up anymore except in extreme cases when running prime95.

I think Fan control management on this notebook is broken.

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2015 18:00

@davidm71 I did not understand what you did to stop the fan. Can you explain it more in detail? thank you very much

23 Posts

March 22nd, 2015 19:00

I have the i5-8gb-256gb-qhd+ model. Battery probably lasts close to 6-7 hours at best.

March 22nd, 2015 19:00

DavidM71, what setup do you have? and how long would you say your battery lasts?

6 Posts

March 22nd, 2015 22:00

I haven't been on here much but I have been getting email notifications about new post. I can't remember what was said and so on.

After installing BIOS A01 a few weeks ago, there was no noticeable change about the constant spinning and coming on of the fan. Found out today from you guys that BIOS A02 is out. I installed it a few hours ago and I have to say, it may have improved my fan problem. I had Speedfan opened up and surprisingly, it read that all my temps were from 24 degrees celsius to 35 degrees celsius. It is usually around 24 degrees celsius to 48 degrees celsius. I literally opened up every application I had down at the task bar and the fan never kicked in and there was no slowness to the applications opening up. While doing this, within a few seconds, the temps changed from around 24 degrees celsius to 78 degrees celsius. Weird thing was that the fan didn't come on. Was I worried? Not really, but thinking about it, I probably should be right?

Maybe the fan problem is fixed on my laptop, but I dislike it that the left side of the laptop is usually always warm to really warm, never hot though. Also, I played League of Legends for about an hour and notice the fan didn't come on and stay on forever like it used to. But the laptop was really warm though. My old Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series from last year played games really well and it had the Nvidia 750m gddr5, and it never ran warm or hot and the fan was barely noticeable. This may be my last time here posting since my fan issues have been fixed, at least that is what I think and I'm hoping.

March 23rd, 2015 10:00

Thank you DELL for the BIOS A02 update!!! I don't have any fans noise since update... on battery AND when charging :) (except when i'm watching a youtube video)

Now I can work on Visual Studio, SQL Server, Outlook, Chrome and Photoshop at the same time without any fans noise!

Now I can say that this XPS is amazing!

Only 2 settings are missing for me: touchpad options and setting keyboard backlight timeout

9 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 11:00

@DavidM71 Where did you download 'Dell Command Power Manager' from? Could you post the link? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

March 23rd, 2015 12:00

March 23rd, 2015 18:00

Im assuming you have the Microsoft signature edition. In power saver mode my processor starts and stays at 0.57 GHz but after putting the computer to sleep once it immediately decides to stop obeying that rule and starts jumping to 0.77 GHz and above. Does anyone else have this problem? Davidm71?

14 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 19:00

Yes. Since A02 I have this problem. I have to manually set tdp to 2.2 to get it to ramp up. Also for what's its work Station-drivers has updated versions of Intel Dynamic thermal framework and the Collaborative framework compared to what Dell has on their site.

March 24th, 2015 19:00

Anybody else having the issue of where the computers speakers and even headphones gives a popping noise when the music starts and stops? i have reinstalled the audio drivers and am still having this issue.

23 Posts

March 28th, 2015 13:00

I'm writing this to help out others with an over reactive touchpad on the XPS 13. I found a new Synaptics driver on Station-Drivers.com that seems to have improved things. I suggest anyone having issues forget about the Dell Support site and go to Station-Drivers instead.

23 Posts

March 28th, 2015 15:00

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/outils/func-startdown/1283/

I hope this link works for you. After testing this driver out it feels improved but still its a little twitchy.

No Events found!