Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2015 11:00

Fan noise on XPS 13 (9343, Early 2015)

Hi,

I just received my XPS 13 and the fan noise is louder than I was expecting.  It is on almost constantly and will spin up and down repeatedly.

Is this normal, all I have really done is install office and some other apps.  Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks for any advice offered

March 28th, 2015 15:00

Hi davidm71,

could you please post the link for the driver?

Thanks in advance!

1 Message

March 30th, 2015 09:00

I just received my new 2015 xps 13, at first the fan was awful, but i updated to the A03 from A01 (just came out today) and noise is all but gone.  Much happier and relieved!

March 30th, 2015 10:00

Which version of the xps do you have? Because it says it only helps the i3 model.

2 Posts

April 7th, 2015 11:00

So just to follow up with my original post a couple weeks ago: My issue was that the fan would make a rubbing/grinding noise when the computer was moved while the fan was spinning.

I ended up getting a replacement unit from Dell. The support person made me walk through a few general purpose steps (that I knew would not help... updating bios probably won't fix a manufacturer defect ;) ). After confirming the issue still existed they mailed me a new laptop. It took about 10 days to get the machine. I have to say it was a pretty good experience.

I was very worried that new machine would have the same issues after reading the complaints here, but I am happy to report that the rubbing/grinding noise is no longer an issue. The fan can still get loud-ish but it is in line with my expectations. Gone, also, is the issue of the fan randomly speeding up for a second or two and going dormant again. For the most part the fan doesn't run at all unless i'm running a VM or streaming HD video.

All-in-all I'm very happy with the replacement and if people here continue to face issues I would go that route. You paid $1000+ for the laptop - make sure you're happy with it.

14 Posts

April 8th, 2015 19:00

My XPS 13 i5 since I exchanged it for another is pretty quiet now but got to say I have had atom processors feel faster than this! 

And I've checked tdp settings also!

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2015 08:00

I did same thing, also update my touchpad driver. Now noise is gone, and touchpad dont have any issue jumping around or delay cursor. its happy now.:emotion-4:

1 Message

September 4th, 2015 02:00

Just wondered if the fan noise and rattle issues have been rectified for units shipped in July & August 2015. Have these problems been as noticeable on the i3 and i5 models (non-touch) compared to the i5 and i7 with touch?

1 Message

September 12th, 2015 13:00

I've just bought the touch screen i7 dell xps 13 from amazon and it's giving me the same issues, loud fan, sometimes on for a while, sometimes on for 2 seconds (on and off )

1 Message

October 6th, 2015 17:00

Yeah.... So I have the XPS 2013 1080p Core-i7 model. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but fan noise is something you have to live with with the XPS13. 

It gets really reaaaaaally hot and I don't think Dell has found a way to fix this yet. Even doing something like watching videos makes the fan go crazy.

I'd say the only thing you can do that doesn't activate the fan is word processing. Good luck! I originally waited for BIOS updates but they won't fix anything. Just make sure you keep your XPS well ventilated.

PS: from what I can tell, Dell knows that this is a problem but they refuse to acknowledge it. Chances are they'll just ship you another laptop when yours dies (they are amazing laptops, just overheat so easily). 

October 10th, 2015 10:00

I'm sorry for your situation. Did you try to format? Or go to power management and set all the cooling as "passive".

I have a 9343 i7 5500U with 3200x1800 touch display on Windows 10 A05 bios. When it's unplugged my dell is really silent! Also while I watch 4k videos using Edge. However as soon as I plug it to charge the battery the fan is really noisy. I've called Dell Support (I'm in the UK) and they are going to change my motherboard on Tuesday.

Do you think this is going to solve the issue or to worsen it?

Bests!

2 Posts

November 20th, 2015 09:00

Hey guys,

I'm experiencing the same issue. Fan gets noise as soon as I start charging. Very annoying.

Did the motherboard change solve the problem, Edwin?

Best!

2 Posts

November 28th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

I want to buy Dell XPS 13 2015 version.  Has this fan issue really been resolved after updating BIOS to A02 or A03?   Anyone please let me know.  Now is near end of 2015 if this issue still not resolved I don't think I'll buy it.  Otherwise yes. Thanks

KW

No Events found!