Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

RG

October 27th, 2017 19:00

Fans spinning loud, Dell XPS 15 9560

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 15 9560.
I updated the BIOS to the 1.5.0 version and since then, I noticed that the fans are spinning faster, even when the laptop is doing nothing. Right now, while I'm typing this, with nothing opened, just the web browser, the fans are spinning fast because I can heard them very clear.

My temps right now are 45-51c with just the web browser.

How can I fix this?

Why my fans are spinning too loud without reason?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 30th, 2017 09:00

What specific issue were you trying to correct by installing BIOS 1.5.0? Or did you just install it because it was newer?

If you did not have the fan issue prior to installing 1.5.0, download and try to force the older 1.4.0 to reinstall. What happens?

October 30th, 2017 12:00

Hi Chris,

I wasn't trying to correct an issue.

Dell Update told me that there was an update available and I installed it.

I don't know how to downgrade the BIOS version.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 30th, 2017 16:00

:emotion-2:

Please click on the link below, hopefully it will be of help to you:

Downgrading the System BIOS on a Dell System | Dell US

November 4th, 2017 10:00

My temps are 50-58 C and the fans are spinning fast, I still don't understand why. It must have an explanation...

489 Posts

November 6th, 2017 04:00

What are the CPU temperatures if you run a full-load test, like half a minute of Mersenne Prime95? If higher than 90 degC, you could have dust in the fins or bad thermal paste application.

Mind "typing this, with nothing opened, just the web browser" is not well-defined because there may be processes running in the background. Even at full load 100% utilisation different programs may result in different temperatures, for example in Prime95 the "Small FFT" option runs a bit hotter than "Blend".

Aside from BIOS downgrade (I find it a bit weird that Dell support suggests this, though it is a good idea for debugging the issue), you could also try changing or adjusting the power profile. Btw if you happened to install the Windows creators fall update there is a change in the power profiles which might be related.

November 6th, 2017 06:00

Hi,

I have the latest release of Windows 10 too. I updated everything to the latest version.

The results of my test using the benchmarking tool of CPU-Z is: MAX 88 C. CPU-Z is not as strong as Prime95. My room temp is 29 C. The fan is spinning at max speed.

What should I do?, change the thermal paste?, downgrade BIOS?.

No Events found!