Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2012 07:00

Few days old Dell inspiron 15r SE - screen flicker issues

Hello everybody,

I brought a new inspiron 15r  laptop, got it last week been working  fine until yesterday.

When the laptop is switched on, the screen flickers with random colors and lines for a while. After a few minutes the laptop works  as normal.

Don't know  what causing this issue?  

Some info:

Graphic card:  AMD 7730m / Intel HD 4000

CPU: i7 ivy bridge

RAM: 8GB

HDD: 1TB

The laptop is brand new and has not be moved around.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

December 20th, 2012 13:00

Hi DellAlien,

It would be annoying when the screen flickers during start-up. I suggest you to check if this issue occurs on the BIOS screen. You will need to restart the laptop and start tapping the F2 key at the Dell logo for the BIOS screen to load.

You will need to update the video drivers if the issue does not occur on the BIOS screen. You can download the drivers from the following link:
http://dell.to/QcsXFe

Please let me know about your findings.

7 Posts

December 25th, 2012 07:00

Hi There,

Thanks for your reply,

This issue does not happen all the time, so its kinda of hard to test. But i have noticed two things:

1) it also occurs when i open the laptop in sleep mode.

2) when the screen is flickering with random colors, if i move the screen slightly backward/forward its stops. After that everything stays normal.

I have taken some photos of the screen with random colors, is there a way i could send them to you?

Next question,

Should i still update the video card driver?

How should i do this e.g, download and install or first uninstall old driver and then install?

Current driver info:

By: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Rel Date: 01/08/2012

Version : 8.982.6.0

thanks again.  

1 Message

January 16th, 2013 13:00

Did your issue ever get resolved?  I just received my new 15R and having the same issue with the screen flickering...

7 Posts

January 20th, 2013 11:00

Sorry mate,I still got the issue, but 95% of time my laptop works fine.

I've  been  told it could be a  connector issue between the screen and the base. 

the laptop is poorly built and feels kinda weak or will fall apart. 

Disappointed with Dell....

January 21st, 2014 23:00

i have even been facing the same issue with 15r, the screen flickers when i move the screen is pulled forward and stops when pushed backward . please i'd like to know the problem and the fix for this .expecting a solution Asap .

it happens in Bios as well in OS.

Thanking you in advance

January 21st, 2014 23:00

i have been even facing the same issue with 15r, the screen flickers when i move the screen is pulled forward and stops when pushed backward . please i'd like to know the problem and the fix for this .expecting a solution Asap .

Thanking you in advance

8 Posts

March 1st, 2014 01:00

i have the same issue on my brand new Dell Inspiron 14r. I only have it for 19 days. My very first encounter with the problem was this afternoon. After waking my laptop from Hibernate.

I made a post with video here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19564285.aspx

Very disappointing that this started to happen after the 7 day replacement period from the Dell Concept Store. And that the Dell Call Center for On-site (home service) is not available during weekends.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2014 03:00

Start using a UPS or line conditioner.  It seems to have solved the problem for me.

No Events found!