Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2017 07:00

Fix for touchpad lockup/freeze on Precision 7510

Hi everyone,

This is not a question but a solution to, what seems to be, a common problem.  My Precision 7510 laptop was having an annoying problem with the Touchpad where the mouse would freeze.  It would freeze for a good 5-10 seconds.  Sometimes, while frozen, the mouse would continue to move at a very slow rate in a particular direction while I waited for the freeze to end.  If I used it later in the day, however, it would be completely fine.  The following possible solutions were tried:

1) Update the device driver.

2) Update the BIOS.

3) Turn off the PointStick.

4) Turn off Touchpad Gestures.

5) Turn off Touchpad Touchguard.

6) Ran the Dell Diagnostics.

Nothing worked.  There was also a possible connection mentioned between Google Chrome running and the Touchpad.  It turns out that it was Google Chrome, but not from the browser running.  It had to do with the background processes running.  I ended up going into the Task Scheduler settings and stopping the Google Updater processes.  Here are the steps on Windows 7:

1) Open Windows Control Panel.

2) Open Administrative Tools.

3) Open Task Scheduler.

4) Under Task Scheduler Library (Local), click on the title Task Scheduler Library.

5) Disable the following services:

GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore

GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA

6) Disable any other unnecessary background tasks.

After making this change, I am no longer seeing the frozen mouse and I've re-enabled all of the disabled Touchpad features.  The mouse still locks up for small amounts of time while using Google Chrome but it's not happening for long periods of time.  Dell should really look into this issue because it seems to happen to a lot of people.  Good luck everyone!

July 2nd, 2017 09:00

Hi tjaden,

Thanks for providing the solution.

Let me know if you have any queries

1 Message

August 7th, 2017 18:00

Thank you jtaden-live.  

I disabled the Google updates, but it didn't solve my problem.  I still have an intermittent 'freeze' where my mouse locks, my keyboard locks, and videos lock (but the audio part of the video  is fine). They all only lock for a fraction of a second, but they do it every 5 seconds (approximately).  

I'm at a loss.

3 Posts

September 26th, 2017 00:00

I have the same problem (short freezes of less than one second). While the freeze occurs, the sound is also frozen and if I am typing, the current key press is repeated a number of times when the freeze stops. This problem had occurred many months ago then disappeared after an update but recently came back ( a couple of weeks ago) probably after another update. Any solutions?

No Events found!