forensics
3 Silver

Re: Flashing orange battery light

Jump to solution

Did anyone find the answer to the battery light flashing four quick orange/amber and one long green?  And, again, why doesn't Dell offer this answer in a knowledge base, especially since it doesn't honor its lifetime tech support!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
FroodCNB
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

This problem happens regularly on my 4500 laptop.  I am using a Dell battery.

The problem happens when I take my usually-docked laptop out of the dock, and then plug it in the next day.  I usually see a repeating series of quick flashes: blue, orange, orange, orange, blue (steady for a second), repeat.

I resolve it by removing and reinstalling the battery, making sure it fits snugly.

There must be something sensitive with the multi-conductor connector between the battery and the laptop.  It is a larger battery that extends past the back of the laptop about one inch.  Perhaps this extension is putting stress on the connection when the laptop is carried around.

0 Kudos
76CobraII
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I have a Latitude C640.  I am getting 4 amber and then green.  It repeats whether it plugged into the wall or running on battery.  When I take the battery out and push the button light 1, 3 and 5 light up.  If I hold the button down the same 3 light up then ALL 5 light up.  Does this mean the battery is shot?  Or do I need to condition the battery?

0 Kudos
ejn63
10 Diamond

Jump to solution

The flash pattern means that one or more of the cells in the battery is faulty - it will soon be time for  a new battery.

0 Kudos
Mikebird59
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Even if the battery indicator shows 100% charged? I ordered a new battery, but a friend said it could be the "charging circuit" What does that mean? I have a 1545 and I came into my office and on the power light I got 4 orange flashes and one white and then repeated. Dell tech support (in India) said "battery dead" and sold me a new one. If it is the pc I will be pissed. As it stands I was on the phone 3 hours and got transferred 8x before I pitched a bitch. They are now rushing me a battery due in 2 days from now, but if I get the same thing, I will stop payment on my AMEX for BOTH the incorrect $59 troubleshoot charge and the $147 battery and go buy another Toshiba (which I have had NO issues with for nearly 5 years!) The Dell came from Costco and I guess it may have sat for God knows how long; we will see if the new battery resolves the issue.

0 Kudos
speedstep
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

LIPO batteries Will die whether used or not.  Storage at 50% power extends their life if its a cool dry place.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

BigJimS
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi, I have the same issues discussed here. The only common thing was the light started flashing 4 amber 1 green after XP SP3 update. Go figure. Think back did this all occur after microsoft updates. Good luck.

celtrealtor
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

It just started happening on my Dell Inspiron with the original battery, even when it was plugged in. Happens when I have been on a while, but it is still random.

I don't think it is the battery, what laptop are you using?

0 Kudos
studio user
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

My Studio laptop battery is flashing 4 amber and 1 green. I have always kept it plugged in up until a few days ago I thought it was plugged in when it actually wasnt. The battery drained and then the lights started flashing. I have had the computer for about 1 1/2 years and never used battery power always plugged in. Was that a bad thing to do? Is my battery toast? The laptop works fine if it stays plugged in. Can anyone help me out here with an answer or fix. Thank you!

0 Kudos
sdhawley
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Bad battery charging issue 4 blinks won't charge was able to run for an hour on a charge just before failuar Dell has been building laptops for years with this problem on purpose to stick it to their customer so they have to buy a propritary Dell low quality battery. I have called I have chatted I have surfed the web & read manuals all I see are massive complaints & no honest answers. Only maybe you should buy a new mother board for more that the computer is worth or spend large amounts of money on another low quality dell battery. maybe maybe maybe from Dell. $1800.00 down the toilet Thanks Dell!

0 Kudos