Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2015 13:00

Following an upgrade from windows 8.1 on dell 5231 to Windows 10 I continually get the error "Thread stuck in device driver"

Following an upgrade from windows 8.1 on dell 5231 to Windows 10 I continually get the error "Thread stuck in device driver" 

I have tried deleting the sound device drivers -Real teck high definition , and re-installing from latest; 

I have also re-installed the latest BIOS 14;

Finally, I was forced to return to windows 8.1.

Any advice will be appreciatively received. 

1.8K Posts

August 28th, 2015 12:00

Hello,

I think that error message more commonly refers to video driver issues than sound card.  I'm not sure which system you have, you list it as 5231 and 1532, neither of which I believe is a valid model numbers.

If you go to our main Dell support pages, input your service tag, the pages will refresh to the content specific to your model.  You can find your model number listed on that page.  You will also find a link to the Drivers & Downloads page for your system, and you can check for updated video drivers there.  (Make sure you filter so it's showing the operating system currently on your system, either 8.1 32-bit or 64-bit, or Windows 10).  

I would recommend first updating your video driver to the newest one on the Drivers & Downloads list for 8.1, and then trying the upgrade again to Windows 10 if you wish.

Hopefully that will clear up that error and you can then install Windows 10.  If you have any more questions just let me know the model number of the system you're trying to upgrade, whether it's a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows, and the video card you have in it, and I'll see what I can do to help.

Todd

August 29th, 2015 16:00

Does this help:

Inspiron 15 3521 64-bit

I believe I also should be performing the upgrade with the Administrator account. -Could you please also describe how I log on as administrator to perform the upgrade.

14 Posts

August 31st, 2015 07:00

Have the same issue with Dell Inspiron 3521. I've tried a lot of options to deal with it, but nothing helped

1.8K Posts

August 31st, 2015 10:00

Hello,

You would simply need to log into the system using whichever account you designated as being and administrative account.  If there is only one account on the system then by default it's an administrator.  

I would recommend upgrading all drivers before trying to run the upgrade again.  Make sure you clear up any driver issues reported in Device Manager prior to running the upgrade.  

Todd

August 31st, 2015 12:00

Thank you for your response, however, I have indeed resolved all device issues, in fact there were not any. Is it possible to completely format the hard drive and install the Windows 10 drives from scratch. That is without an upgrade.

14 Posts

August 31st, 2015 12:00

I've tried to install Windows 10 from scratch - same issue. Now, I'm turned off AMD video card through "Safe Mode". I've tried to make clean install drivers from dell download center (using service tag) and also from AMD official site

September 1st, 2015 08:00

..... you don't say whether you were successful or not....

1.8K Posts

September 1st, 2015 08:00

Thank you for your response, however, I have indeed resolved all device issues, in fact there were not any. Is it possible to completely format the hard drive and install the Windows 10 drives from scratch. That is without an upgrade.

From what I understand, no.  You can do a clean install, and it will load, but it will not activate via Microsoft.   

Have you seen this thread from the AMD boards?   Not sure it is your issue but check to see if you have that same software installed and, if so, delete it.

Todd

14 Posts

September 1st, 2015 09:00

For now it's not successful - same issue". I've installed win10 from scratch, then installed Intel HD drivers and after that installed AMD drivers (following instructions from AMD thread (Todd's post) without "Gaming Evolved"\Raptr)

1.8K Posts

September 2nd, 2015 13:00

Hello,

Since you returned to 8.1 do you see the error at all?   If it is specific to Windows 10 I wouldn't think it's a hardware issue.   Maybe try running the system diagnostics to see if there are any hardware problems detected?

My next thought is when you did the upgrade to Windows 10 the system was then "activated" and licensed for Windows 10.  Have you considered doing the upgrade again but then doing a clean install of Windows 10 after that?  If there is a software conflict between Win10 drivers and some software app on your system a clean install would, theoretically, clear that conflict out.

Todd

14 Posts

September 2nd, 2015 16:00

Hello,

I did a clean install, but this seems like a problem with drivers. Today I've tried Windows 7 and again I had problems with AMD driver (BSOD with atikmpag.sys error).

I'm sick of it and for now only option for me is install Windows 10, turn off AMD card and wait for working driver

Sincerely,

InspiredQ

1.8K Posts

September 3rd, 2015 09:00

Hello,

I did a clean install, but this seems like a problem with drivers. Today I've tried Windows 7 and again I had problems with AMD driver (BSOD with atikmpag.sys error).

I'm sick of it and for now only option for me is install Windows 10, turn off AMD card and wait for working driver

Hi,

If you're getting errors in both Win7 and Win10 have you run diagnostics on the card to make sure it hasn't, or is starting, to fail?     I'm honestly not sure when any new drives will come out.  It could be soon or it could be a while, unfortunately.

If turning off AMD is the only way to use that system, that may work as a short term solution.  Hopefully AMD will release an updated driver soon that will address this issue.

Todd

No Events found!