Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2016 06:00

Following new hard drive install problem

Hello,

I had a new hard drive installed on my laptop. Since I have recovery discs and a complete back up on an external hard drive, I opted not to pay the additional $100.00 to reinstall everything. I fired up the laptop with great anticipation. Popped in the first recovery disc, everything working great so far. When complete, I ejected disc #1 & inserted disc #2 as instructed. Icon kept spinning & message never changed from "instert disc 2". I waited about 10 minutes, no change. Can't feel or hear the disc running. Pressed eject, nothing, pressed eject a few more times, nothing. Powered it off & on. Now my screen is back to square one and disc 2 remains in the drive, unable to eject. It is NOT the tray style where I could use a clip to eject. Please help. Thank you.

38 Posts

December 25th, 2016 20:00

Not sure how to help you with your reinstall, but I may have a way or two to eject the disk from your DVD drive.

The first thing I'd try is to press the eject button immediately after pressing the power button, before the computer tries to start the boot process. That works with my computer, but I have a tray type DVD drive.

If that doesn't work you could try is creating a bootable USB drive which has File Explorer on it. I had the opposite problem, I needed to run a setup file off a non-bootable install disk and no OS on my HDD. I used a bootable USB drive to boot the computer and then used file explorer on the USB drive to access the DVD drive and execute the setup program on the disk.

I created my bootable USB drive using my Macrium Reflect software because that is what I had handy, but if you Google "Bootable USB Drive" you may find other options you could try. Once you have a bootable USB drive with File Explorer you will have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS startup utility to boot from the USB drive before the DVD or HDD (tap the F2 key repeatedly immediately after pressing the power button to access the startup utility). Then boot from the USB drive, access File Explorer, right click the DVD drive and select "Eject disk". I cant guarantee this will work on your computer but it is pretty simple and worth a try.

9 Posts

December 26th, 2016 06:00

Thank you so very much for the detailed information! I will try this. Fingers crossed.

No Events found!