Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2016 09:00

Fresh Install-Endless Windows Update problem latitude E6400 laptop

I picked up a E6400 (x2 qty) from ebay and a product key from another site.  Used my 64 bit home premium disc  to install win 7.  Something went wrong and I changed hard drive to WD 250 install and got endless update problem

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

July 5th, 2016 15:00

Theres problems updating Windows 7 SP1 these days. Its best to slipstream these updates into your installation media. See here for more detail:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/converting-your-dell-windows-reinstallation-dvd-into-a-reinstallation-usb/

Otherwise us the WSUS Offline Update instead of Windows Update:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/wsus-offline-update/

July 5th, 2016 10:00

I have used Google and Bing to search about this problem.   I have tried numerous fixes including MS fix-it tool.  I have an error code which will be included in next post.  

Thanks in advance

July 5th, 2016 14:00

The error code is Windows Update error 0x80070005 (other numbers)   Service registration missing or corrupt. This I got out of a Windows Update troubleshooter program.  My basic thought is I installed Windows 7 64 bit with a buggy Intel rapid restore driver and a slower hard drive (possibly the original drive for the laptop, and why this is important escapes me)which was install#1.  Took out the drive for performance reasons, and installed #2(install #2) on the same system.  This install was prompting me to activate and I did activate(successful).   The one thing that bothered me was I had two PC's on same network named the same but with different connections ( wifi and Ethernet) later I renamed the laptop.  Here is another post with same issues found at superuser.com  http://superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates   pondering one last clean install using the techniques gleaned just now.  

Thanks all

July 17th, 2016 20:00

Well after much thought and research about the update problems for Win 7 64 bit, I have temporarily halted the installation(of windows 7 (64).   I am doing research online about building a updated ISO and have quite a few obstacles in building one.   Here is what I have tried in a brief summary:

a. Download a updated ISO from MS the first two were corrupted somehow.  and cost me much time and effort.  Windows 7 needs other software to compile and update the ISO (which I have done in the past with XP, so not a big deal)  Later I found out Windows 8 can do most of compiling in the OS with command line.

b. 7Zip failed to extract ISOs due to the corruption and costing me even more time lost.  I also got a messaage that the ISO did not have a CD/DVD driver as well. I then tried to put it on to USB which failed as well.  Only when I used a known good Win 8 ISO did it succeed on USB.  I followed a guide online for that one.  

c. Installed WIn 8 64 bit and was able to update the OS completely.  also doing research on updating all the drivers I had a few ideas.  One was that I could get away with just upgrading the OS from Windows 7 64Bit  Thus letting the windows7 64 bit drivers carry over to the Windows 8 64 OS, or so I thought.  I think windows update snuck the drivers I was seeing into the system (video, some chipset drivers, and other devices as well-however I did update the chipset driver with a win 7 64 bit set from Dell.com.

d. tried to install other software without researching about the preinstalled software like PDF viewer (thats preinstalled) big Face palm and sigh!!!!!!

I have had better days Big Sigh!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

July 18th, 2016 04:00

Windows 10 TH2 has a free upgrade (If you clean install or upgrade before the 29th) from Windows 7. Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 do not...

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr

Then on the 2nd of August you'll be able to download Windows 10 RS1...

August 14th, 2016 16:00

I managed to redownload a windows 7 64 bit ISO and mounted it in windows 10(double clicking it in "this PC" )  I then opened it and copied the files to a named folder.   The mounted ISO needs to be ejected to unmount it and proceed with the building.   I did not use 7 ZIp to unpack the ISO as it may not work well in windows 10.   I then started the NTlite program to integrate the updates that I downloaded with WUD (as you mentioned and countless other tutorials mentioned as well).   I also integrated a few drivers as well into the finished ISO (dont forget to check create ISO in the options after building and before completion).   I then found the ISO from NTLite and mounted it again to extract the files to a USB drive, formatted and made bootable(NTFS file system).   I booted to the USB drive by changing BIOS options and installed windows 7 64 bit.  There are some issues with .NET in the event viewer, but that is probably minor fix.

Thanks again for all your assistance with this problem.

No Events found!