Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2013 18:00

Frustration with Dell Drivers

For years I've been buying Dell laptops for the companies I've worked for.  I keep thinking that at some point, Dell will figure out (it's really not hard) how to fix the frustration that I am sure all of us end users deal with frequently.  Maybe it's just me, but these frustrations seem so obvious and easy to fix on Dell's part, it just makes no sense.

1.)  Why does Dell use these cryptic driver "codes" for the names of their downloads and containing folders?  To Dell's credit, most of the newer drivers do have slightly more descriptive names, instead of R52987, maybe it's now called "IDT_92HDXXX-HD-AUDIO_A04_R302809.exe".  At least the word "Audio" is in the title now, but then of course, when I unpack the driver and it get's installed in my C:\Dell\Drivers folder, it's put in a folder called "WGPPH".  WGPPH???  How about a folder simply called "Audio"???

2.)  Why can't they at least add a sensible description to the drivers?  For example, the "Intel AMT HECI, v.4.2.30.1040PV, A03" driver.  The "description" says "Intel AMT 4.2.30.1040 PV MEI Driver".  Does that really help anyone with what this driver is???  How about something like "This driver will fix the error in device manager with the device PCI Simple Communications Controller".  Then maybe follow it up with a description about WHAT the Intel AMT is?

3.)  I understand the need to keep old drivers posted and available to download (in case people have trouble with the new driver), but how about being a little more clear about which driver is which?  On a particular laptop under the "Audio" drivers, there are two listed.  Both have the same title, but with different version numbers (apparently).  You would think that the newer version number would be first, or have a newer release date, but nope...both release dates are the same exact date and the apparent older driver is listed as "recommended" where as the newer driver is listed as "optional".  Is the newer driver still going through testing or something?  Give us a clue at least as to what and why the difference of the two files.

4.) When I click the link to download a driver I almost always get a question about my download method...either a "Single-file download" or "Use Download Manager".  In my case, I always want to use the single-file download...and even better, there is a checkbox that offers to "remember my choice".  But does it remember??? No way...IT ALWAYS ASK ME HOW I WANT TO DOWNLOAD IT EVEN WHEN I TELL IT TO REMEMBER.  Why offer this choice and checkbox if it never works???

5.) If you Google "Broadcom USH missing driver" there are many people trying to figure out what this is and where the driver is located so they can download it.  This complain kind of goes hand in hand with my other complaints, but why doesn't Dell CLEARLY show people where to download this driver and call it something similar?  Instead, we are left to guess that it's the Dell Control Vault driver (which is buried under the security downloads).  This is so frustrating - for many people.

6.)  I love the fact that Dell puts a unique service tag on each computer they sell, but when I enter it in the support site, why can't it exactly tell me what hardware is installed in my computer (from the factory) with clear descriptions and quick links to the exact drivers?  Instead there are dozens and dozens of drivers listed under all the subcategories.  It appears they tried to do this somewhat by offering a choice of "Filtered driver results for your service tag" option, but even that doesn't work.  My laptop does not have a modem, yet when I filter the drivers for my system, there the driver is!  I have the nVidia video card, yet even when "filtered" for my service tag, both video drivers (intel and nvidia) show up?!?

7.) Can Dell please explain what their "Dell System Software" is?  The description says it's necessary for correct operation, but that isn't the case.  I can have a dell machine without this installed and it seems to run windows just fine.  It also says it installs updates appropriate for the specific computer.  When and where does it do this?  There is no application that I can find for it.  Does it hide in the background?  What exactly is it doing?

8.) What is an end user supposed to make of 14 different firmware options for DVD drives listed under the "Removable Storage"?  Are we supposed to update the firmware of our DVD drive, and how do we know which one we have?  There are 14 of them listed (in this particular example)!  (I realize you can go to device manager and get an idea about what DVD drive you have, but in my case, it didn't match anything on the dell driver/firmware options)

9.) Maybe it's just a Windows 7 thing, but I've noticed lately that when I try and install the Intel chipsets (provided by Dell in the driver downloads), it unpacks the Chipset files into the C:\Dell\Drivers folder, but it never runs the chipset utility?  There doesn't appear to be any instructions on Dell's part on what we are supposed to with it at that point.

I just had to rant about these things.  It's would be such an easy thing to help out the end user with better descriptions, organization and simply clearer instructions on what is important and what is not.  After all these years, they still can't seem to get it right.

No Responses!
No Events found!