Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2017 22:00

GPU failure?

I have a Dell Inspiron 7559 w/ i5 and nVidia 960 that just went out of warranty.  While playing a game a day after a Windows 10 update the laptop crashed to a blue screen "DHP Watchdog Violation".  I ended up factory resetting the laptop and it started up fine.  After I reinstalled a few drivers I went to restart to finish the driver process and it will not turn back on.  I get the watchdog error again.  Then the repair software says repairs can't be done and it never boots again.  I tried reformatting the SSD, tried reinstalling it several times, but every time it just boots the first time and never restarts.  I'm thinking hardware failure? Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

• 

17K Posts

July 24th, 2017 10:00

bobbyorr55,

You can click the link below to watch the youtube videos on how to resolve the error DHP Watchdog Violation. It is not a Dell video, but contains information on how to resolve.

How to Fix DHP Watchdog Violation

3 Posts

July 24th, 2017 14:00

Thank you, Jesse.  I will try it now.  I also wanted to add more information.  I was able to reinstall windows fresh again and install all the windows updates but I had to quickly uninstall the NVidia driver.  As long as I uninstalled it before windows fully boots I was fine.  I was also able to start in safe mode without issue.  However, once I installed all Windows updates and DELL chipset drivers I then installed the Nvidia driver in safe mode and it never rebooted again, DHP watchdog violation.  

Again I will try your fix now and let you know if it works but I have pretty much given up and figured the GPU burned out only 5 months after warranty :(

• 

17K Posts

July 25th, 2017 09:00

hey bobbyorr55,

When you format and reinstall Windows on the computer you must follow the drivers install order. Click the link below for information installing drivers in the correct order. Not all the drivers listed will apply to your system. 

Inspiron 7559 Drivers, Downloads and Manuals

Drivers Install Order,Help and Tutorials 

3 Posts

July 26th, 2017 08:00

I had done everything on the DHP Violation link you'd posted and installed all the drivers off the Dell website before anything else.  Windows updated the rest and put the NVidia driver in there and the computer did not immediately crash.  After a few minutes or so the NVidia driver "Crashed and recovered" over and over until I disabled it citing a kernal error in the version I had installed.  After I updated it from the NVidia website hoping the kernal error would go away it stayed running for a few more minutes before crashing and never starting again.  I got a little further and it really seemed like the video chip was working for a few minutes this time but then again I didn't have time to load a game to really check.  Any other thoughts? I really appreciate all the help thus far and if this is the end of the line that's alright.

• 

17K Posts

July 26th, 2017 10:00

Hey bobbyorr55,

Click the link below to update the system bios to the latest version. 

Inspiron 7559 Bios 

No Events found!