Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2009 09:00

Gaming/Video Performance - Inpsiron E6500

I recently purchased an Inspiron E6500 for business use and included the nVidia 160M video card option.  The laptop has a dual core CPU and 4 gigs of Ram running Windows XP.

I've been primarily testing the game performance with World of Warcraft after reading some reviews that said you could get an acceptable framerate but I'm not having much luck.  I've tried updating all the drivers/BIOS but game performance even with all the settings turned down and running in an 800X600 window is still really, really choppy.

I knew the laptop wouldn't be a gaming powerhouse and that's not the primary reason I bought it, but at the same time I had hoped to at least be somewhat more playable than it is considering the hardware specs.  I've read a bit about installing video drivers aimed at the gaming cards from places like laptopvideo2go and didn't really see enough of a performance increase to make the game playable.  I don't believe it's an internet connectivity issue as I'm using the same router for my desktop and laptop and the desktop is just fine.

For WoW players specifically who have had success with an E6500...whatv video/audio settings are you using? And is there something I missing or not installing or not configuring correctly for gaming in general?

Again I know it's not a gaming-specific laptop but I was hoping to at least be able to kill some time with some WoW when I travel for business.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 16th, 2009 12:00

The quadro drivers are for CAD not for gaming.
Quadro does not equal gaming GPU
Worse the 9300 and NVS 160 are essentially Integrated GPU that STEAL from system memory AKA NO dedicated ram for the GPU
Thats why the 7400m and 8400m are also horrible aka TURBO TRASH memory.

8600M GT		9300M GS		NVS 160M
Chip Core		G84M			G98M			G98M
Memory Type		DDR2/GDDR3		GDDR3			GDDR3
Stream Processor	32			8			8
Core Speed		475 MHz			550 MHz			580 MHz
Memory Speed		400/700 MHz		700 MHz			700 MHz
Shader Speed		950 MHz			 1400 MHz		1450 Mhz
Max Bandwidth		12.8/22.4 GB/s		9.6 GB/S		11.2 GB/s
Memory Bus Width	128-bit			64-bit			64-bit
Max Memory		512 MB			256 MB			256 MB
Current Consumption	20 W			13 W			12 W
visit http://laptopvideo2go.com for drivers. Because the NVS 160M  drivers are optimized for CAD not 3D games.
Also make sure you have 4 gigs of ram as the system steals up to 768 megs of system ram in some cases.
Wow Likes 1 gig or more of system ram so if you have 1 gig total with 768 stolen via the Fake GPU then you have LESS THAN THE MINIUM
required ram in reality.

April 16th, 2009 13:00

Yeah the more I read about the 160M the more I realize that it's probably just not a good tool for the job.  Unfortunately with work I didn't have the option of ordering an XPS system so I'm trying to make the best of it.

I grabbed the latest drivers from laptopvideo2go and got those installed.  I have 4 gigs of RAM.

I saw some suggestions to try WoW in OpenGL mode as well via a switch in the shortcut so I can see if that helps.   I'll see how much the tweaks helped and see if I can at least get a playable framerate for a little questing or at least some fishing to pass the time.

Thanks for the suggestions and any other tweaks/tips!

No Events found!