Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

February 4th, 2009 17:00

GeForce 8600m Driver installation error

I have been using this Vostro 1500 for a variety of work/gaming tasks and have never had any issues.  Within the last week, however, I have been unable to log into World of Warcraft on it (which seems to be a common issue, for different reasons among the posters here).  My first thought was to check for new drivers.  I entered my Service Tag and chose the correct OS for my machine, and it came up with a new nVidia driver released 1/23/09.  I figure this new driver is what I need to be able to connect, however this is where I run into my problem.  I am unable to install this new driver for some reason.  

I download the driver, unzip it all, then the installation runs itself.  After the nVidia setup begins, I receive an error sound and a message saying "The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware.  Setup will now exit". 

It is obviously *supposed* to work for my laptop, correct?  Since it is the driver they recommend for my Service Tag.

The only thing I can think of is that I recently reformatted my machine, and somehow I must have done something wrong.  Everything has worked fine since I reformatted, including running WoW until the last few days.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 4th, 2009 17:00

No it might not be for your specific computer. You must pick out the drivers that match your hardware. The list is a generic list of all possible hardware that came with that model. Even if you are using your service tag, it will still show you all available drivers. Look at your Device Manager for the complete list of your hardware or download Belarc Advisor to get the complete picture.

1.6K Posts

February 5th, 2009 10:00

If you did not install the Dell notebook system software and the chipset driver, the nVidia driver won't load properly.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

February 5th, 2009 14:00

The most recent driver for the 1500 is 179.24 released on 1/8/09. Get it here: 179.24.

4 Posts

February 25th, 2009 18:00

If you did not install the Dell notebook system software and the chipset driver, the nVidia driver won't load properly.

I updated both, but I still get the same message...by the way I am using xp.

1 Message

August 26th, 2009 22:00

it says its only compatible with vista 32 bit. so we're out of luck

No Events found!