Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2015 23:00

Got This XPS-13 (9343) in Early March 2015, Can't Wait to Get Rid of It

This is the worst computer I have ever owned, mainly because of the touchpad.

I've owned desktop and laptop PCs running Microsoft OSes since the 1980s, most of them from Dell. I own 5 now. This is the worst ever, even though it's the most powerful (Core i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, plus docking station, DVD drive, sleeve, and extended warranty). The reason it's so bad is the totally useless touchpad, which I have struggled with for about 3 1/2 months, to no avail.

First, the touchpad area is apparently divided in half (I have discovered this through trial and error, since it is completely undocumented as far as I have been able to determine). I have turned off tapping, swiping, and reverse scrolling, in a vain attempt to remedy the configuration and behavior described here. Clicking the left half produces what a left mouse click would. Clicking the right half usually produces what a right mouse click would. Apparently there is no way to make it just one usable area without these different behaviors depending on where your finger happens to be. Clicking with two fingers on the left half (usually also on the right half) also produces a right mouse click. So, when these behaviors are active, you lose half the touchpad real estate for a function already available simply by using two fingers.

But it gets worse. Sometimes holding a click for too long produces multiple clicks--selecting, activating or executing something unintentionally or just scrolling the screen beyond what one might have intended. Yet other times clicking produces nothing--no selection, no cursor relocation, nothing. At still other times, just hovering the cursor produces wildly uncontrolled scrolling and/or selecting.

Unfortunately, these behaviors are not at all consistent, and the touchpad is essentially non-configurable, though, as mentioned, I have done what little I can.

On the other hand, if you connect a mouse (and configure the touchpad to become disabled if a mouse is connected), the computer becomes much more usable, and the only other real problems are the touchscreen and Windows (which is clearly intended for tablets and phones, not PCs). Windows is a worse disaster, for a number of reasons, but I won't go into it here.

At this point, I'm just waiting to see if Windows 10 improves the touchpad situation. If it does, then maybe I can live a while with this bad choice I have made. If not, then I'll cut my losses and switch to something else--most likely something that does not run Windows.

What an expensive disappointment. If you're considering buying a version of this PC, I would obviously advise you against it. I regret that I did so.

No Responses!
No Events found!