Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2011 01:00

HDMI Audio Distortion with e6500

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Viewsonic monitor to connect to my Latitude e6500 via HDMI.  Currently I am running Windows Vista Business.  When connected through HDMI (with use of a display port to HDMI adapter and 3 m HDMI cable), the audio sounds somewhat distorted even when the volume is low (similar to the distortion you get when a monitor speaker is turned up very high).  This occurs when sound is played from the monitor or speakers connected to the 'audio out' on the monitor.  However, when I connect the monitor through a VGA cable and a direct audio cable between the laptop and monitor, the sound appears fine.

Any suggestions for how to fix this problem?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

September 8th, 2011 08:00

Hi Mr.XXX,

Let's eliminate what works and what doesn't.

1) Have you ever gotten video/sound from your monitor using HDMI?

If yes, are you using the same HDMI cable to connect to this Computer?

If No, try using an HDMI cable that you know works with your monitor.

2) Have you ever gotten video/sound using HDMI from this Computer?

Repeat steps above in question #1

Depending on your answers, you may have a bad cable, bad video or sound card, or it could be the HDMI connector on your monitor. I'd start with the cable first. I once bought 3 sets of HDMI cables of Ebay. 2 of the 3 worked.

Regards,

Robert

ref 19782543

3 Posts

September 9th, 2011 07:00

Hello Robert,

Thank you for the information.

Yes, I get audio and video with the HDMI cable from my laptop, but the audio is distorted and has a crackling noise in the background when no audio is playing.

I connected anotther laptop (not Dell) to the monitor with the same HDMI cable and the audio and video work great.  So, it appears that both the monitor and cable are fine.

What do you recommend that I try next?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

September 20th, 2011 07:00

Check this article and see if there's a solution there, if not, let me know and I'll research it further.  Thanks.

http://dell.to/qUHRKt

Regards,

Robert

No Events found!