Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

September 21st, 2010 05:00

HDMI CONNECTION

Can some one help me, i have a dell inspiron 1525 laptop, i am trying to watch movie from laptop to lcd tv via hdmi cable. The picture come on but no sound. I took laptop to where i purchased and spoke to technition, he go it to work on selected lcd tvs NOT all. When it did work and we went into sounds,playback tab there was the hdmi icon but not on all lcd, tvs can some one help me to rectify this problem.

my email is <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

3 Posts

September 22nd, 2010 04:00

i have had this laptop for about 18 mths and is running vista. i have not upgraded any drivers, but as i say it does work on some LCD TV'S NOT ALL so it seems weird that,  that does happen....would i have to do the same as what you have already stated for vista as windows 7.

thanks for you help

4 Posts

Hello,

First off, you should be using dell provided drivers for your graphics card. Then, if you are using windows 7, right click on the speaker icon on taskbar, select "playback devices". A window will appear, on it,right click on "HDMI port" and select "set as default device". You`ll then have the sound out of your hdmi port instead of your laptops speaker. Whenever you want to return back to original settings, just change the default device back to "speakers" . But attention, you have to do it after you connect your laptop to LCD and before you open media player with movie.

Take care.

3 Posts

also when the application does work on an lcd the hdmi icon is under play back but if it does not worh then hdmi icon is not there.

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2010 05:00

Well i think of two scenerios.

1. So if it works properly on some LCDs and doesn`t work on some, it may depend on the TVs that you use. Because, even if it works on only one LCD, that means that your computer is able to transfer audio over HDMI. It may be the LCD you use doesn`t support audio over HDMI, or using an old standart of HDMI. There are 4 types (versions) of HDMI socket available on the market. They are 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3. All of these HDMI versions support audio but for example 1.0 only supports Dolby Digital dts, MPEG, but 1.3 supports 8 channel dolby digital, dts, mpeg, DVD-Audio, SACD, Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD. So what i am saying is that maybe the LCD which doesn`t play audio is some old technology. Disappearing of the HDMI icon is odd, but it clearly means that HDMI audio is disabled somehow. It maybe connected to what i said.

2. . But here is another trial; you told me that you are using stock drivers. Update them all with the latest dell drivers provided on support web page by entering your service tag. HDMI sound depends on graphics driver, sound card driver and sometimes even on chipset driver. So update them all and try again.

Let me know if there are any improvements.

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2010 05:00

I never used Vista, i jumped directly from XP to 7, so i am not sure if things are same with vista and 7. But i think they are a lot look like.

No Events found!