Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 11th, 2013 17:00

HDMI Input

Greetings everyone,

I have recently purchased a Dell Alienware M17x R4 system from Dell. I am aware that the system has an HDMI Input feature; however when I try to connect my PlayStation 3 system to my laptop via an HDMI cable, nothing happens. Sometimes a window pops up saying something like 'HDMI IN On', but the image does not show. I have tried pressing Fn+F8 (HDMI In), but a window appears, saying 'Please connect HDMI input device'.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it my PlayStation's' fault? I have been trying to connect my PS3 to my laptop for quite a while now. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

-F

10 Posts

April 17th, 2013 13:00

Greetings,

I seem to have found the problem. I have reinstalled Windows after backing up my files, then installed drivers from the Resource CD, then updated them via Dell's' website. After installing Alienware On-Screen Display again, the HDMI Input port began to work.

It seems that my Alienware OSD was not working properly, and after I had reinstalled it, it began to work, thus fixing my HDMI problem. I don't know why, but the AOSD might be related to my HDMI problem.

Well, It seems that my HDMI IN port is working now; thanks for your support. I apologize for using your time for this simple problem.

Thanks and regards,

-F

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

April 11th, 2013 20:00

Hi Flamasone,

Alienware M17xR4 has two HDMI ports. The HDMI connector port on the left is output  for devices supporting audio/video signals in HDMI format and the HDMI connector port on the right is input port for external devices to output audio/video signals to the system display. Ensure you are connecting the PS3 to the HDMI port on the right side of the system and then press Fn+F8 to switch the display.

Please reply for further help.

10 Posts

April 12th, 2013 13:00

Greetings,

Thanks for your reply; I really appreciate someone trying to help. Anyways, as said for your question, I am sure that I am plugging in the HDMI cable into the far right port in my system. After I plug it in, nothing happens, and when I press Fn+F8, it says something along the lines of 'Please connect HDMI input device'. I shall try again now, and I'll see if there has been any improvements.

Thanks

-F

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

April 16th, 2013 03:00

Hi Flamasone,

I would like to know the status of the computer after connecting the HDMI cable to the output port.

Please post the results, I would be glad to assist you further.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

April 19th, 2013 02:00

Hi Flamasone,

Glad that the issue is resolved. I appreciate all your efforts in fixing the problem. In case of a similar situation in future, you can always refer to the link http://dell.to/YegVvF .

Feel free to reach out to us on SDC for any help.

No Events found!