Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2012 12:00

HDMI output

Hi,
can somebody tell me how to connect laptop with an external monitor
I bought HDMI to VGA cable it doesnt work then i bought another cable HDMI to Component again it doesnt work......
is there any hdmi output drivers???
I re-installed the nvidia driver but again it doesnt work.
my laptop is dell-xps L501x 
VISAR 

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 24th, 2012 13:00

I bought HDMI to VGA cable it doesnt work then i bought another cable HDMI to Component again it doesnt work......

To be expected.

Since your laptop has only HDMI your external monitor had better have DVI or HDMI input

41 Posts

January 28th, 2012 12:00

You probably have to use the function F2 key to send signal to the HDMI port. That is how it works on my XPS 14z anyway. It has th option of reproducing the laptop screen, using the external monitor as a split screen or using the external monitor as the primary display (the laptop screen goes blank in that case). It is a little complicated though as it appears to treat the external display as a TV. Anyway, you could try that and see if it helps.

To ieee488, you can buy HDMI to VGA cables and converters, but they are not that easy to find. The most common ones are HDMI to DVI.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 28th, 2012 14:00

To ieee488, you can buy HDMI to VGA cables and converters, but they are not that easy to find. The most common ones are HDMI to DVI.

The keyword is converters. A HDMI to VGA will not work. Repeat after me, HMDI to VGA cable alone will not work.

You need to re-read the OP's original post before jumping in. He was using HDMI to VGA cable alone.

41 Posts

January 28th, 2012 16:00

If you continued reading you will see that after the HMDI to VGA cable, he used an "HMDI to component cable", which is presumably DVI. That should work.

All modern monitors have DVI ports, and typically a second port of another kind. In older ones it is a VGA connector and newer ones HMDI.

But simply plugging the cable in won't be enough, you have to direct the signal to that display.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 28th, 2012 19:00

If you continued reading you will see that after the HMDI to VGA cable, he used an "HMDI to component cable", which is presumably DVI. That should work.

No, you are wrong again. Component video is not DVI. Google it. Of course, he may be confused as to what exactly what kind of cables he has.

10 Posts

January 30th, 2012 06:00

thank you everyone for the opinions and the suggestions. i tried almost everything but still i couldn't fix it.

i'll try with a hdmi to hdmi cable .

No Events found!