Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2016 06:00

HELP! After upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Win 10 Nvidia GEforce GT 750M Display Driver causes laptop to fail to startup

PLEASE HELP! After upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Nvidia GEforce GT 750M Display Driver causes laptop to fail to startup.

I am running:

• Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586
  • System Model Inspiron 7737
  • System Type x64-based PC
  • Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 1801 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
  • BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A06, 27/11/2013

Since upgrading to Windows 10 I have to start up the laptop in safe mode, uninstall the Nvidia card. Then I do a normal restart, at which point windows update automatically re-installs the Nvidia card.

So before I shut down after working each day, I have to remember to uninstall the Nvidia card again, so that the laptop will restart the next time I need it.

There are a few works-arounds i have discovered, but none work for my laptop.

• Turning the windows update to a 'metered connection' so that it does not automatically download updates does not work as I am in a rural area with poor internet connection and so cannot work via WIFI.
  • Downloading the Windows 10 'hide updates' tool does not work as it cannot find any problems with the laptop - even though there is one!

Is there anything you can recommend that would stop my laptop from automatically downloading the Nvidia drivers???? It always downloads an old version of the driver back from 2015 and not the latest one that is availble from March 2106.

Or is there away of telling windows update to download the latest driver and not the old one????

Please help

1 Message

May 15th, 2016 03:00

Hi,

The very same issue i have,

After upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Nvidia GEforce GT 750M Display Driver causes laptop to fail to startup.

The way i have got around it at the moment is i have disabled the Nvidia GEforce GT 750M Display Driver in Manager. The laptop is slow to boot up but everything work OK but slower.

CAN ANYONE HELP

2 Posts

May 16th, 2016 04:00

Hello. I have the exact same problem with my Inspiron 17 7737. I have a Nvidia GT750M graphics card.

First, for the original poster: If the driver does not work. you can disable the card from Device Manager and then you should be able to boot and Windows will not bug you about drivers. But you have a computer with a non-working graphics card :(

Here is what I have done but no progress.

I installed Window 10 clean (formatted hard disk) so there is no software/dll kind of issue.

I downloaded the nividia drivers for windows 10 from the dell site (which is the most recent Dell driver for windows 10, NividiaVideo_Driver_VKKJ1_WN32_10.18.13.5324_A00)

After restarting and making sure anything works in the "clean" windows 10, I tried to install the dell driver and about 20% of the way, the computer freezes. Waited for several hours but no avail, so I reboot and at the spinning dots, the computer freezes. (Did try rebooting multiple times but always freezes)

Booted to safe mode and uninstalled the driver and disabled the nividia card. Can boot normally.

Next tried to install the latest driver from nividia (364.72) and that also froze around 20%. Repeat process of freezing when booting followed by uninstalling all related software and disabling graphics card.

Next, I tried enabling the graphics card and let Windows try to install the driver itself. Driver was download (some old version) but computer would boot to black screen (yes did plug in a second monitor but no screen). Okay back to the safe mode and remove drivers.

Could boot then let windows try to detect and install but then before rebooting, manually updated the drivers from within Windows using the download driver from Nividia.

Rebooted to spinning dots freezing.....

After patiently counting to ten and then disabling the graphics card, I am thinking that my graphics card is broken.

Anyone have any advice?

2 Posts

May 27th, 2016 03:00

Answer: Upgrade your BIOs!

That at least is the answer that worked for me.

After upgrading the bios, I could properly install the video driver and boot just fine. S

aw that multiple people recommended the same thing for Windows 10 video issues. So try upgrading the bios and then the video driver issue should be corrected.

No Events found!