Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

October 24th, 2014 16:00

HP 2000 dead in the water?

A friend of mine sent me his HP 2000 laptop and basically was going to throw it in the trash before I convinced him otherwise.  Basically you are unable to do anything at all, uninstall, refresh, etc.  Everytime you do it says system is unable, or missing something, etc.   He has 24x7 help which seems to have taken over everything, and again you cannot uninstall it.  It appears he, or more likely his children, have deleted vital bits here and there.  I tried to run a reinstall via the setting, change system settings, etc., but it cannot even do that.  He did not get a cd with his laptop, so are there any options to getting this machine back up and running with windows 8 again?  Thanks

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 24th, 2014 17:00

It may simply have a bad hard drive - all the major drive makers have test utilities that can determine whether the drive is bad.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 24th, 2014 23:00

This is a Dell Forum and not a HP Forum however Microsoft have made the same flawed media distribution for all OEMs. The Windows 8 product key resides in the system BIOS and can be obtained with RW-Everything:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/microsoft-product-activation/obtaining-your-oem-bios-embedded-slp-product-key-using-rw-everything-oem-only/

Installation media cannot be downloaded using the Windows 8.0/8.1 OEM product key due to Microsoft's highly flawed installation media distribution. The also do not let HP/Dell provide a download link to a .iso so many customers look for the .iso in unofficial locations.

You can order physical OS media from HP here however the service is kind of pricy and the recovery media obtained is of the factory settings. It does not allow clean installation. Therefore you are paying for media which will include all the prebundled junk preinstalled by HP.

Hence many will look for the .iso to clean install as HP/Microsoft provide no means to clean install:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-bph07143-39%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

P.S. Dell do provide a means of clean installation as you can request a Windows 8.0/8.1 Reinstallation DVD. The Dell Recovery USB does not allow for clean installation however. In your case the system is a HP not a Dell so Dell won't be able to help you with media.

No Events found!