Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2013 13:00

Hard Boot

I turned my laptop on and when the windows log in appears it says"other user". I do not have a password for this. I have tried f8 advanced boot and after I select repair my computer it goes to windows again and says "other user". What can I do to restore my computer?

3.1K Posts

Hi Jonlam,

Which operating system is installed on your computer?
May I know the exact model no of your computer?
Since when your are facing this issue?
Were you able to login previously to the computer?
Are you able to see any other user account apart from 'Other User'?
Did you create a password for your computer?

You may try the steps mentioned in this article http://dell.to/YAyS8k 

Please reply so that I can assist you further.

4 Posts

The operating system is Vista and it is an Inspiron 11z

4 Posts

Which operating system is installed on your computer?

May I know the exact model no of your computer?

Since when your are facing this issue?I just turned the computer on. We do not use much but my kids do.

Were you able to login previously to the computer? Yes

Are you able to see any other user account apart from 'Other User'?NO

Did you create a password for your computer?yes

3.1K Posts

February 27th, 2013 16:00

Hi Jonlam,

Thank you for the response. It is advisable to perform PC restore, which means taking the computer back to factory defaults.

Note: This step leads to complete data loss including pictures, music files, videos, documents and applications. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well.

To perform PC restore:

• Restart PC, press 3-4 times when the Dell logo appears.
  • Advanced Boot Options menu appears, ‘Repair your Computer' is highlighted, press Enter. (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice)
  • Windows is loading files screen appears. Wait for it to load.
  • System Recovery Options prompt appears. Specify the language and keyboard input that you want, and then click ‘Next’.
  • Log in as a user who has administrative credentials; select the username from the drop-down list, type the password and click OK. (please check if any other user account option is listed)
  • Choose a Recovery Tool Window appears, select Dell Data Safe Restore and Emergency Backup.
  • The Welcome screen will show 2 options; Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files and Select other System Backup and more options. Select the second option (Select other System Backup and more options) and click Next.
  • The next window shows these options; Backup Files and folders and Restore my computer. Select ‘Restore my computer’.
  • Select the Factory Image and click ‘Next’.
  • The next window shows 2 options; 'Preserve new or changed files before restoring to selected System Backup' and 'Restore without preserving new or changed files'. Select the second option (Restore without preserving new or changed files) and click Next.
  • A prompt appears stating that your computer is about to be restored all data currently on your computer will be deleted and replaced with your selected Full System Backup. If an Emergency File & Folder Backup was created, it will still be saved at the location you selected. Click 'Yes, continue' and click Next.
  • PC restore will initiate. Once done, click Restart.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to create a user account

Please reply if you have any questions.

4 Posts

February 27th, 2013 19:00

System Recovery Options prompt appears. Specify the language and keyboard input that you want, and then click ‘Next’.

the item listed above does not come up. Windows loads and then "other user" is on the screen. I click on it and it asks for user name and password. When I put it in it states "the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted". I am completely locked out at this point.

3.1K Posts

February 28th, 2013 15:00

Hi Jonlam,

Thank you for the response. If you have created the recovery disc for your computer, you can use them to restore your computer to factory defaults. If not, then you would require the operating system disc to install the operating system on your computer.

No Events found!