Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2009 04:00

Hard Drive Fail?

Will: Dell Studio 1737- Okay I wasnt very careful of what I downloaded. I got some virus's. Anyways my computer would not start. So I formated my computer. When I did it said that failure was immenient to back up my hard drive soon. This scared me because well....im broke. My fingerprint reader says its not connected when everything is installed and the reader is built it. Sometimes my computer wont start and sometimes a blue screen pops up giving me an error and shuts down my computer. What can I do? I heard theyre are ways to correct corrupt hard drives. If not where do i buy a hard drive and how much are they? Oh and are all hard drives compatible with all computers. I hope this is in the correct section.

539 Posts

October 12th, 2009 06:00

Sounds the re-install is not complete - check the DELL site if you've installed the latest drivers for your system.

In any case: make a backup of your data.....

Devices not being recognized and blue screens are not uncommon with no or wrong drivers.

IMHO, the file / data structure can be ruined by virusses, the harddisk itself can be totally ok though.

If you doubt your harddisk, check the SMART status with something like drivesitter.

If SMART attribute are outside the normalized range, then start worrying and plan to migrate your data to a new disk

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 12th, 2009 06:00

The Dell diagnostics will tell you whether the drive is OK - F12 at powerup.

No, not all drives are compatible.  You need a 2.5" 9.5 mm SATA notebook drive - figure on $50 for a 5400 rpm 160G up to $150 or so for a 500G 7200 rpm unit.

15 Posts

October 13th, 2009 05:00

I have nothing to important on my hard drive that i really need to back up. Im just worried about the cost of a new one. I did the dell diagnostices and it said the hard drive test failed with error 0146. If anyone knows what that means and what I can do please let me know. Oh and where can i find this hard drive for my computer if something is wrong.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 13th, 2009 05:00

You need a replacement hard drive.  The current one has failed its self-test.

Here's one good candidate for a replacement drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280

15 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 16:00

Okay so my computer finally stopped working all together because of the hard drive error I guess. I read in my booklet that I could take it to bestbuy and get it repaired. I have terrible luck so theyre probably going to tell me there is nothing they can do or that the new drive will cost my soul. So what can I do? I was looking at hard drives on bestbuy.com and theyre like 100 or a bit higher for like a 500gb hard drive? That sounds amazing seeing how i only came with a 250gb harddrive. Whats the catch here? And try to make it a simple answer because all I know about computers is what ive learned from experince or common sense.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 3rd, 2009 17:00

A 500 G notebook drive will cost about $100-150 depending on speed;  if you have BB install Windows though, it'll add another $200 or so to the price.

15 Posts

November 4th, 2009 04:00

Wow only 100-150 sounds awesome. Now what are you talking about BB? I have windows vista....

315 Posts

;^) By BB I'm sure he meant Best Buy, since you mentioned them earlier.  If Best Buy installs Windows for you, it'll cost more than if you did that part yourself.

As for why a newer hard drive with a higher capacity would cost little compared to the original hard drive, that's just the nature of the industry.  Computer technology gets better and better every year, while the cost goes down.  There's no catch.

:^/°º(Except maybe this....)

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Best  Buy - they charge to do a Windows installation.

No Events found!