Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

February 27th, 2013 13:00

Hard Drive Partitions Vostro 3560

I'm looking to Multi Boot my Vostro 3560. (Windows 8 & Ubuntu). I wanted to create a couple of new primary partitions. Unfortunately it appears Dell has "taken" all the possible slots. I have the following Partitions

Disk 0  OEM Partition                     Primary

Recovery Partition               Primary

OS (windows)                     Primary

Data                                   Logical

DIsk 1       Hibernation                        Primary

I have no idea where the "Disk 1" comes from since the system only has one HD which should be DIsk 0.

I do not use hibernation and really don't care for the recovery partition because I image my stuff anyway. It appears as thought the "recovery" partition is a system (*read" BOOT) partition. I'd really like to get a couple of primary partitions for my OWN use. Which partitions are "safe" to delete? I have a very sinking feeling that I will need to reload Windows from scratch if I delete the "recovery" partition.  What is the OEM partition used for? I'm guessing the Diags.

15 Posts

June 4th, 2013 07:00

Hi Dwizards

If you haven't already deleted your partition, maybe you can help me.

I accidently DID delete my recovery partition and i need it urgentrly because I need to reinstall my system.

If by any change your Vostro 3560 is the same model as mine (i7 processor, 8 gb memory, 750 gb HD, win 8 pro) I would really appreciate it if you couold send my an image of your recovery partition.

As for your question: hibernation partition is a special partition the size of your memory and is used by a utility called "intel smart start" or "intel fast start" or "intel rapid start" or something like this. Check the size of this partition.

2 Posts

June 5th, 2013 12:00

E_lotan,  Sorry to dissappoint but my device is a Windows 7 Pro. I passed on the Windows 8 Fisher Price Operating System. Good Luck

15 Posts

June 6th, 2013 02:00

Hi Dwizards

I was asking because you said you have Win8 & Ubuntu.

Mine is WIN8 without the option to downgrade to WIN7.

Is it too rude to ask you to make an image of your dell software ONLY? It is possible through the dell backup & recovery utility.

I will extract from there the things I need.

No Events found!