Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2012 23:00

Hard Drive

I will be installing a new hard drive into my laptop next month because my original hard drive is dying. When this happens I am aware that I will have to manually re-install Windows 7 and my other software. I wanted to know would Dell tech support walk me through the process of re-installing my software, though I'm not still under warranty? If not how much will it cost me? 

Thanks in Advance,

Kilah

33 Posts

July 26th, 2012 00:00

Thanks Royan S

How do I restore data such as music and pics onto my new hard drive using my WD passport? Just follow the directions?

3.8K Posts

Hi Kilah,

Welcome to the Community. I suggest you do it yourself as your warranty has expired. Use the below links for help.

support.dell.com/.../document

en.community.dell.com/.../1434.1-1-a-clean-install-of-windows-7-on-dell-systems.aspx

The Inspiron 1545 system uses Serial-ATA (SATA) hard drives, and is offered with a configuration of 5400 rpm drive. The link given above does match the HDD configurations.

Thank you

33 Posts

Also what type/ kind of hard drive will work with my Dell Inspiron 1545? I was looking at this one www.bestbuy.com/.../9107744.p

is it compatible?

Kilah

33 Posts

July 26th, 2012 01:00

That's not too bad.

Is there a sudden order to follow. I know to first install vista, then windows 7. What's next the service pack 1 once windows 7 is installed or do I install drivers and software?

3.8K Posts

Hi,

You can copy all your music, pics, files, and paste them on your Westen Digital External Hard drive, its very easy.

Which operating system was shipped with the computer? I dont think you can use an upgrade disc to manually install windows. Did the Windows 7 upgrade disc come with a COA label?

Thank you

33 Posts

Also it says

"If using a Dell Reinstallation DVD or a purchased Windows 7 Upgrade/Retail DVD it will tell you on the label if any Service Packs are included (if they are present then you don't need to download them). Currently the latest Service Pack for Windows 7 is Service Pack 1. "

I have a Windows 7 upgrade disc, and I don't think I see a service pack is included, so would I have to manually install the service pack 1 for Windows 7?

33 Posts

Are you serious? I would be installing two operating systems? Yes the window 7 disc has a COA.

Will I also have to manually install the service pack 1?

3.8K Posts

Hi,

You will not be installing 2 operating systems. Its just one Windows Vista, and Windows 7 is just an upgrade. After you manually reinstall windows vista, and get your desktop screen, then put in the Windows 7 upgrade disc for window 7. This is the same procedure when you got your upgrade disc. Once the upgrade is done, it may ask for the COA enter that in. Yes you will need to manually install the service pack, or windows update may do it for you.

Thank you

3.8K Posts

Hi,

You will need to manually install Windows Vista first, and then use Windows 7 upgrade disc to upgrade to windows 7. COA is Certificate of Authentication, which is like a product key.

Thank you

33 Posts

I purchased my laptop in fall 2009, it came with vista home premium and you would get a window 7 home premium upgrade in 2010. I'm running on windows 7 now. What is a COA label?

3.8K Posts

Hi,

Considering you will need to install vista, then upgrade to windows 7, install all the drivers and software, we are looking at atleast 2-3 hrs.

Thank you

33 Posts

Okay, so I will install vista then upgrade to windows 7, how long does this usually take?

Thanks for the quick responses, highly appreciated.

Kilah

3.8K Posts

July 26th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

Yes first install vista, then upgrade to windows 7, install all the drivers instlal the service pack, and all the softwares. All the information you need is in the second link given in my original post, follow that order.

Thank you

33 Posts

July 26th, 2012 10:00

Thanks, My laptop came with a 4GB with 320 GB, would I be downgrading by getting the Seagate 250GB?

3.8K Posts

August 1st, 2012 04:00

Yes, the hard drive would be a downgrade on your hard drive.

Thank you.

No Events found!