Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2017 02:00

Hard Drives Dell Inspiron i7 7000

Just purchased 2 in 1 Inspiron i7 7000 which has a 1tb hard drive and and 120gb SSD.  After set up it seems to have installed Windows on the 1tb hard drive which is designated as C: and the SSD data designated as D: drive is empty.

I tried to speak to Dell - long distance hard to hear conversation - and they seemed to say this was right. And that there was only one hybrid drive with partitions?

Other literature suggests there are in fact two separate drives. And that Windows should be on the SSD.

Is that right?  And if so how do I fix it? There is nothing else of importance on computer so drives can be wiped etc.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 24th, 2017 04:00

Was Windows installed by Dell, or by you?

It IS possible to install WIndows to a 128G SSD, but you'll have to be very vigilant in what you install.  It isn't hard to fill up a 128G drive in normal operation -- make sure you don't have plans to install large packages like the Adobe Creative suite, games, etc. to the SSD.

If you do, you'll run out of space in short order.

Windows CAN be loaded to the 128G drive if you wish (and yes, the system will be significantly faster).

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 24th, 2017 08:00

Do you have the model number of the hybrid drive?

February 24th, 2017 08:00

It was installed by Dell - I simply went through startup procedure as per quickstart instructions.

So how do I move windows to the SSD ?  Where do most people have Windows ?

February 24th, 2017 11:00

I don't think it is a hybrid drive. I think there are two separate drives. ..

The C: Drive is 'local fixed disk'  917.33 gb

The D: Drive  is a Toshiba THNSNK128GVN8 M.2 2280 128gb

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 24th, 2017 13:00

If you go to the Dell Support site and enter your service it is supposed to show you the exact configuration of that system.  If the other drive is, in fact a Hybrid drive, it has its own acceleration handled internally.  

And, as was mentioned, 128 GB may not last long.  I went to at least 256 GB a couple of years ago.  One thing you do not want, with the way Microsoft is doing updates, is to have a primary OS partition without enough room to handle the updates space required.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 24th, 2017 13:00

It isn't clear why Dell would bother shipping this configuration - why put the OS on the slower hard drive and leave the faster SSD for storage.

That said, carefully consider whether 128G is sufficient before you install the OS on the SSD.  To do that, you can download the image for your system or a Windows installer, write it to a flash drive, and remove the hard drive from the system.  Boot the system from the flash drive and load onto the SSD.  Once that's done, you can reconnect the the hard drive.

February 25th, 2017 05:00

Thanks - how do I 'remove the hard drive from the system' - as it is built in?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 26th, 2017 03:00

Which model?  7559, 7668, etc?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 26th, 2017 13:00

Service manual (only the base cover needs to be removed to access the hard drive).

www.dell.com/.../diagnose

Sorry late reply - been away. It's a 7779

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

If you take the bottom off, be careful, there is a catch near the back in the middle which is not mentioned in the manual....  I do not know how to get it to release...

No Events found!