Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2010 16:00

Hard disk running hot?

Hey there!

Using a dell vostro A860 with Ubuntu 9.10.

A noticed a few days back that it is hotter then usual, and it seems that the hard disk is at 55-60 and the highest was 67 C degrees.

Isn't that a little hot?

And if it is, what can I do to lower the temperature? Is there danger in running so hot? Why is it so hot?

The CPU is at 48C degrees, the fan is clean I think, because it isn't working much.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

1.8K Posts

January 28th, 2010 13:00

Hi,

How active is the hard drive when its getting that hot, or is it always like that?  If you're doing something hard drive intensive, like pulling files off, streaming video off it, etc, then it would run hotter than normal. 

If it seems to be getting that hot under general use then I would suspect its got a hardware failure that is about to cause it to crash.  First, I would highly (HIGHLY) recommend you back up your data.   There are some Dell diagnostics either on your hard drive or on the Drivers & Utilities disk that came with your system.  Try running those on the drive and see if it fails.  You can find more information on running diagnostics off our support site, http://support.Dell.com

Todd

4.6K Posts

January 29th, 2010 02:00

Those temps are way too hot :emotion-3:

I personally use Ashampoo HDD Control to monitor them, and the two hard drives in my XPS M1730 are currently both idling at 37°c, but I've never seen them above 40°c.

And that's in a laptop with dual 8800M GTX and a PhysX card as well!

It's likely the hard drive temperature is affecting it to a degree, but your CPU is hot as well.

My CPU (see sig) is currently sitting at 35°c, but again... I've never seen it much over the low 40's - even after an intensive (FPS) gaming session.

Heck... even my graphics cards are sitting a couple of degrees lower than the highest temperature you've mentioned seeing for your hard drive!!

So I agree with Todd's advice. 

You need to make sure you have everything important backed up... and keep backing it up regularly, because a hard drive running at those temps constantly, is liable to give up the ghost at any time :emotion-6:

It would obviously mean reinstalling everything from scratch (unless you have an image you can use of course?), but if you have - or can borrow, another 2.5" hard drive, it would be worth trying it, to see if it makes any difference?

All being well, it'll show normal working temps, which will verify that the drive you're using just now is indeed faulty?

But you're going to need a replacement drive sooner rather than later anyway - and the sooner the better really by the sounds of it :emotion-6:

I realise that's often easier said than done though, because you might not be in a [financial] position to order new stuff as/when you feel like it - or indeed need it.

If that's the case, I hope you have friends who might be able/willing to help you out, 'coz it sounds like it could be close to an emergency!?

3 Posts

January 31st, 2010 14:00

Hello!

Thank you both for your replies!

This is what I was afraid of!

And it seems that I have a lot of dvd-s to write...

I don't have someone from whom I can borrow a hard disk like this, but the good new is, that the laptop is still in warranty and when it will be done, they will probably replace it, but it is still unpleasant to have to change a drive after a year use, ship it somewhere, wait for a few weeks and so on.

I have another dell laptop, an inspiron 1501 and it works like a charm after 3 years of heavy use.

I use ubuntu 9.10 right now, and after I'm done with the backup, I will install on it an XP, just to see how the drive behaves under Windows, of course after a full hard drive format.

Thank you all, and take care! 

No Events found!