Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2013 03:00

Hardware Problem - Laptop won't load to login screen

Laptop starts and goes to screen with options:

1 - Run windows start up repair (recommended)
2 - Start windows normally

Selecting 1, It brings up the little loading bar with microsoft corporation written beneath it and then the screen blacks out. Eventually after a while my mouse pointer appears but then nothing else happens. Selecting option 2 starts windows however a blue screen flashes up briefly and then the system restarts.

I had a problem with the hardware a couple of months ago (along with various other problems with dell in the past...) my warenty ran out like 3 weeks ago (good timing... suspicious) so please tell me how much this will cost to fix, how long it'll take and what is wrong with it.

error message: Hard Drive 0 - S/N S2W7CEDZ. self test unsuccessful. status = 7

Urgent response needed

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

February 13th, 2013 03:00

Hi CrowK,

Welcome to the Community.

Please provide me the operating system and the system model so that I can help you in a better way.

Self Test unsuccessful indicates hard drive issue.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to turn off the system. Unplug the battery and the adapter. Press and hold power button for 10 seconds. Plugin the adapter and perform a Pre Boot System Assessment (PSA Diagnostics). To launch PSA diagnostics, please press and hold “Fn” key while turning on the system. Hold it down until the diagnostic starts. For more information click the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/RO1v0p

Please keep me posted with the results.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

February 13th, 2013 04:00

Hi CrowK,

Thank you for the reply.

Let me know the error code you get during the  Pre Boot System Assessment. Please refer to the steps mentioned above to perform PSA.

If the diagnostics pass and system does not boot properly in Safe Mode, I would suggest you to perform PC Restore using the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/Wj1rZe

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

6 Posts

February 13th, 2013 04:00

Laptop is a inspiron N5040

No Events found!