Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2012 14:00

Harsh sound from any speaker or headset during any audio playback

Dell 17R (N7110) gives a harsh sound, like the amplifier chip is being overdriven, at somewhat regular intervals. It does not matter what type of media is being played, whether CD, MP3 or Youtube.

I have ran all the diagnostics and updated the audio drivers. Still no respite from this and an extended search proves that I am not the only one with this problem. I truly suspect that the audio hardware/software combo are to blame but since this is not a desktop, I cannot just change out the sound card to troubleshoot the issue.

Further, the 'Dell Diagnostics' gives no advanced method to test the audio, just a short series of tones. Before it's mentioned, I have not reformatted the drive. This so-called hidden fat32 partition does not show, even with a diagnostic live CD.

Dell, if you're listening, if I cannot find remediation, this will be the last Dell I purchase. I paid good money for a laptop that so far, has not met my expectations in a near-$900 piece of equipment.

Ray

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 22nd, 2012 19:00

I think your problems are due to your bad attitude and self-entitlement.

That kind of remark is uncalled for and extremely unhelpful. It doesn't cost anything to be courteous.

July 23rd, 2012 08:00

@Jim - how true. You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.

@faizalenu - d00d, you need a chill pill. I've owned 4 Dell laptops including this one, a Latitude 510 (still running), a Latitude 620 (untimely mobo failure out of warranty) and an Inspiron 1501 that still is a good unit once I upgraded its Vista Basic to XP Pro. I have built dozens of desktop units, mostly high-end gaming. Been around the business since the days of Cobol-Fortran-Basic. Not a n00b. I currently work with life/safety related programmable microprocessors.

*back to our update in progress*

Jim, I ran that Intel patch for Rapid Storage Technology last night. I'm not sure if it will do any good but it did install with no hiccups. During shutdown, more updates (12 of them) installed. I made a restore point before I shut down so I can get rid of the updates, just in case they cause trouble. Just don't have time this morning to give the system a full test.

As a note, the reason I removed SyncUP was due to being unable to convince it to stay dormant. There were big latency spikes right before it would crash, so that looked like an issue.

JIm, I've searched for that farked driver's KB number, the one that causes issues, just for reference. Is it possible you wrote it down somewhere?

I'll post back after I've ran the sound & video real hard.

Ray   (not a computer n00b)

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 23rd, 2012 12:00

Ray,  the relevant thread here on that particular issue is Stuttering/Buzzing Sound During Audio/Video Playback,  The actual solution -- for the Inspiron 1545 and 1750 models -- comes on page 3 of the thread, posted by "mao.tsetung" who says that there was no KB number and that the bad version was MS Update: Intel - Storage - Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller released in June, 2011.

Someone else says the bad version was 8.2.0.1001, dated June 2011 published 13/10/2011. I don't think there is much useful in the thread after about page 5 because it gets taken over by people with different models.

July 30th, 2012 16:00

Well, here's what's gone on since my last post. Received a restore disc from Dell after I determined the restore image on the hdd had some issues during the first restore. Okay, the same missing dll's and files were complained about using the new Dell restore disk for restore number two. Not sure why, since I found them on the restore disk. Go figure.

Now, out of curiosity, since I had nothing to lose at this point, I borrowed a full copy of Win 7, used that with the provided drivers disc to reload the system. My laptop now performs like is should. I'm not sure why I had to do it this way but it worked for me. YMMV.

I've been very careful to set restore points before each Windows update and no more than two major programs installed at a time. Max DPC latency is staying under 1,200 microseconds, mostly @ 300 microseconds average, the only major glitch is from APCI Battery management, consistently every 65 seconds. Still, even that battery charge glitch is usually under 1,000 microseconds each time and does not affect audio.

Audio quality seems better now, no grinding sounds except for the sound quality of the on-board speakers. Well, it is a laptop, ya know and there's only so much space in the housing. If this thing does have a sub-woofer as advertised, I can't get it to turn on, find a setting for sub-woofer volume or maybe I just don't hear it that well. I am an old d00d with bad hearing, after all. Sounds great through external speakers, though. Ask my downstairs neighbor, he'll tell you how well Robin Trower sounded..

So, I'm not sure if I call this a fix or not, since it had to be done "The Hard Way", so to speak. And when it comes down to it, I never really found the root of the problem, either. New Laptop Gremlin? I dunno . . .

One last thing, I did have MS Word 2003 and Excel 2003 quit on me this morning, would not start in any mode, so I had to reload the apps. Oh well . . .

Ray

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 30th, 2012 17:00

Thanks for the update Ray. I saw your post yesterday too that I guess got deleted. It is not reassuring if Dell is using flawed images.

July 30th, 2012 19:00

Jim, I'm not so sure it it's a 'flawed' image or if the sector positions of the problematic data are to blame. Back in the day, I had a custom desktop that wouldn't load the first version of win95 on CD. I had a 12X read 2X burn CD burner in it and after finally declaring the drive bad (it wasn't), I put an old 4X read CD-rom drive in. It read the files just fine, whereas the 12X unit wouldn't.

It's one of those "It is what it is" things. Just happy to have a laptop that works.

One last thing - after fussing around with settings, I found the SRS adjustments. Some tweaking there, followed by using VideoLan Player with Graphic EQ on a slightly tweaked "Full Bass' setting, the speakers are passable for portable play. Just not concert quality but passable.

No Events found!