Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2015 21:00

Headphone Volume Suddenly Low

Hello,

I have a Latitude E5420 running Windows 7 64 - bit.  I recently plugged my headphones into the 35mm jack and immediately noticed that the volume for all content (itunes music, digital audio workstation projects, youtube videos, etc.) was super low, almost faint.  I can hear a significant amount of white noise as if the volume is maxed out however the sounds are completely low.  When I unplug the headphones, the speaker volume seems to be fine.  I've uninstalled & reinstalled the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC driver and messed with the playback device enhancements with no luck.  I'm completely stumped, any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 3rd, 2015 04:00

Hello. Try testing with the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the Windows search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "IDT High Definition Audio Codec".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the IDT driver,  do it again but reverse the names in steps 1 and 6.]

If you have the same problem when using the native driver it is most probably a hardware failure. I don't think the jack in the E5420 is replaceable, so the workaround would be to get a usb audio jack. If you have a dock try its jack.

March 3rd, 2015 16:00

Thanks for your help Jim but alas, no luck.  Pretty frustrating but I appreciate the suggestions.

No Events found!