Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2015 14:00

Headphones make a static/buzzing sound on my XPS 13 (9350)

Hi guys, whenever I use headphones/earphones for my laptop via the headphone jack, I always hear a faint static/buzzing sound despite the fact that no music or sound is playing. Anybody else have this problem and/or know how to solve it?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

November 6th, 2015 15:00

Does increasing / decreasing audio volume make a difference? Have you tried  other headsets, or tried the headphones another PC, does the noise only happen with the notebook, or follow the headset? Do you only notice the sound when using the headset?

The big thing here is make sure that the headset is connected well, check to see if there is any give in the connection. Move the notebook to a different location and see if the noise follows the notebook.  It could be something near the notebook that is causing the problem. If you do notice the sound on the integrated speakers try downloading the audio drivers.

Please let me know what you find out.

TB

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

December 2nd, 2015 15:00

carl0

I am sorry to read that you are having audio problems with your system.  Have you tried my previous suggestions, and if so what are the results?

Does increasing / decreasing audio volume make a difference? Have you tried other headsets, or tried the headphones another PC, does the noise only happen with the notebook, or follow the headset? Do you only notice the sound when using the headset?

The big thing here is make sure that the headset is connected well, check to see if there is any give in the connection. Move the notebook to a different location and see if the noise follows the notebook. It could be something near the notebook that is causing the problem. If you do notice the sound on the integrated speakers try downloading the audio drivers.

If you have verified that the problem is specifically with the notebook, by testing with other headsets, external speakers, and testing on other systems as service may be required. Depending on your service contract this could be an at home service or a return to depot service. I will send you a friend request and if you are in the US I will be happy to research possible service options. Otherwise if you aren’t in the US I suggest contacting tech support in your area.

November 6th, 2015 16:00

Increase/decreasing the volume doesn't change anything unless the volume is muted (which stops the static noise).

It happens on my in-ears but it's hard to hear if it's there on my over-ears. It doesn't happen on other devices with the same earphones. I can't notice it when it's just the speaker, and I don't think it's there when it's only the speaker.

The connection is fine. Moving to a different location doesn't fix it.

Any other ideas?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

November 9th, 2015 08:00

If you haven't tested yet, I still suggest moving the notebook to different locations and see if you have the problem all of the time regardless where the notebook is at.

Reinstalling the audio drivers may still be a step, but if sound is fine with the integrated speakers, it may not make much of a difference.

Other than that if the problem is bad enough you may want to consider having a service done to replace the audio jack / system board.

TB

11 Posts

December 1st, 2015 14:00

Hi Dell,

I am facing the exact same issue as the original poster.
I just recieved the xps 13 yesterday and already love it but this strange noises are so annoying.

What is the duration of such a service case?

Really don't want to send it in but it seems that I have to ....

11 Posts

December 4th, 2015 17:00

thanks for your fast reply Terry,

my problem may be related to the current Linux kernel I am running, new version 4.4 should fixe this.

If not I will contact Support here in Germany

Thank you very much

6 Posts

December 4th, 2015 23:00

I have an Inspiron 13z that has buzzing from the headphone port, but only when plugged in to AC power.

2 Posts

December 19th, 2015 08:00

Hi jackevans45 did you fix your problem? Because i'm having the same issue on my inspiron 5558.

1 Message

January 2nd, 2016 18:00

I have the same issue with my inspiron 17 7000 series.  Its like I am receiving a radio signal through my headphones when I have them plug in.

9 Posts

January 8th, 2016 17:00

Yes, I have this and am debating returning it as it is not tolerable using our primary set of Sony (powered, noise cancelling) headphones.
1. Noise is system noise that is not tied to volume level.
2. It is faint on non-powered headphones but extremely loud (mostly in the left channel) on our sony powered cans.
3. It is extremely hard to notice if you do not have any USB A or C devices plugged in.  Once you plug in a monitor and start something that will play audio the system conveys all sorts of noise.   My USB Ethernet adapter is even worse with some of the noise in sync with the Ethernet status indicator light.
4. There is no noise when using USB headphones, it is system noise coming through the headphone jack.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 9th, 2016 08:00

I have this and am debating returning it

Don't spend too much time debating because if you keep it past the short return period your only recourse might be to hope that tech support can fix it, but there is no guarantee that they can.

9 Posts

January 9th, 2016 13:00

Agreed, though my current thought is that it is a design flaw vs. a particular model flaw so it is a debate of how important being able to use the headphone jack is (vs. Bluetooth or USB headphones) vs. all the other reasons I chose this model.  Given my former years running a PC repair center (and working at MSFT for most of my career) I don't believe there is anything tech support can do for an issue like this other than replace the motherboard but again, an issue like this is extremely unlikely to be a one-off manufacturing issue.
But to your point, I do need to get out to a store that has one on display to see if the audio issue is the same to determine if it is indeed a design issue vs. something failing with this system.

No Events found!