Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 10th, 2017 05:00

Headphones not working - Inspiron 13 5378 2in1

Good morning,

on my Inspiron I'd say 80% of the times the headphones don't work: I plug them in and the sound still comes out of the speakers. I can't select them either, because when I check playback devices I have only one listed as "Speaker/Headphones", and I of course can't disable it.

At the beginning I used to see a MaxxAudioPro pop-up whenever I plugged the headphones in, but then it stopped appearing; I tried to delete and reinstall drivers, install the ones on Dell website, install the default windows one... Nothing seems to work.

Help? Thanks!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 10th, 2017 06:00

If you open Task Manager to the processes tab, you should see two Waves entries.  One blue square and one green circle and if there, you should get the popup if the headphones are plugged in correctly.

If you don't have them check the startup tab to see if the Waves MaxxAudio Service is enabled.

15 Posts

January 10th, 2017 06:00

Cheers Saltgrass, that was indeed the problem: I enabled Waves MaxxAudio Service, rebooted and it seems to work.

Can I ask you another question then? Is it possible to disable the pop-up for choosing the device connected, always presuming I plugged in normal headphones? I never use external microphones so it's just annoying really.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 10th, 2017 13:00

There may be some sort of work around someone else may know about, but with the Combined Audio port, you may not want to go that way.

15 Posts

January 11th, 2017 01:00

Roger. Thanks for your help!

15 Posts

January 25th, 2017 02:00

So this worked for two weeks... Then exactly 5 minutes ago, I was listening to a voice message on Telegram through the speakers, plugged in my earphones (with the usual MaxxAudio pop-up asking me which device I just connected) but the sound was still coming from the speakers. Tried to unplug and replug, it's the same all over again: sound comes out of the speakers. The laptop recongnises the eraphones, MaxxAudio asks me to choose the device and the volume bar goes up, but they don't work.

Kinda annoying!

Edit: I was thinking about what possibly can cause the problem, and I realised that this morning I hibernated the laptop instead of shutting it down. When I powered it on again, the earphone/speakers switch didn't work, and I wasn't able to make it work no matter what option I choose. I'm sure that, if I reboot the laptop now, it's going to work just fine...

Again, tad annoying!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 25th, 2017 06:00

It may be related to your player or software.

If I start iTunes and try changing to a headphone, the speakers will continue to play.  iTunes has an option to pick an output device but you need another operational device to switch to so you can switch back to the computer default device.  

Try restarting the utility after you change to the headphones or see if there is some output option..

15 Posts

January 25th, 2017 06:00

Every sound comes out of the speakers (YouTube videos on Chrome, VLC, PotPlayer, even the little ding Windows makes when you adjust the volume) so I don't know.

Not sure what you mean when you say "try restarting the utility" tho

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 25th, 2017 07:00

ITunes is the only one that does not automatically switch  with headphone insertion.

The Waves popup allows you to set preferences for each device.  You might try deleting any you have set previously.  I wish they would make the OK button more prominent so it would be more touch compatible.

I am not running the latest audio from Dell, at least not the Realtek part.  I do have the latest Waves version.

15 Posts

January 29th, 2017 10:00

Hey Saltgrass,

thanks for answering. Since last week I've hibernated my laptop several times and the earphones were always working fine. Mystery.

Anyway, can I take advantage of you one last time? I just found out by accident that with my iPhone earphones I can press to play/pause what I'm watching on VLC or PotPlayer, which is pretty cool.

Pressing on volume buttons doesn't do anything, tho. Is this normal? Is there a way to make them work?

Thanks again.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 29th, 2017 11:00

How the buttons work may depend on what utility is running.  Try holding them down to see if the volume changes...  If it isn't an Apple product it might behave differently.

15 Posts

January 29th, 2017 11:00

I tried that, doesn't work, neither do the other options (double-press for next, triple for previous)..which is fine, I wasn't expecting them to.

It was just unexpected, since the earphones are Apple and the laptop is a Dell with Windows. Normally, when the remote thingy work with other devices, it's only the volume buttons and not the central one, that's why I was asking :)

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2017 05:00

I think I mentioned, some utilities will not allow you to switch outputs once they start.  If the Telegram program is starting the problem, shut it down, then insert the headphones and restart.  It may even be doing something to take control of your system and is not compatible with a combined audio port.

There is only one device showing output with this system.  Whether it is a wired headset or the speakers.  If you had a Bluetooth headset, it would show as its own device.

Make sure the headset is plugged all the way in.  If you see more that about 1/32 nd of an inch of metal, it may not be fully seated.

15 Posts

February 22nd, 2017 05:00

Guys, after a month I'm still having the annoying problem I explained a few posts back (The laptop recongnises the eraphones, MaxxAudio asks me to choose the device and the volume bar goes up, but they don't work, audio keeps coming out of the speakers but at a lower volume).

Can you please point me, if not to a permanent solution, at least to a workaround? Like a process to kill and restart in the task manager, I don't know.

At this point I need to reboot my laptop 3/4 times a day for this issue, and it's getting super annoying.

15 Posts

February 22nd, 2017 06:00

I tried closing all the programs I had opened, didn't work.

My headset is plugged all the way in (it's been recognized, since the MaxxAudio pop-up appears), but sound still comes out of the speakers.

When it works, it works whichever program I open. I can plug it in and out many times, still working fine.

The problem only occurs after I put the laptop in stand by or hybernation, but not all the time I do. Pretty random.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2017 07:00

I have to believe, if something on your system is changing in such a way to cause this problem that it would leave a fingerprint.  Maybe something in the Event Viewer which might be just an informational entry or something more important.

If Dell update is set to automatic updates, turn that off for a while.

There may be something wrong with your system but the time between instances seems to be a little long for that.

You can get a Bluetooth headset for not too much money, maybe it would end your aggravation.

No Events found!