Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2017 20:00

Headset External Microphone Not Functioning

Hey guys. Please excuse any ignorance, but I'm not SUPER tech savvy when it comes to computers.

Thus my issue. I have a Dell Precision my father handed down to me. I have a turtle beach headset that I use for gaming and what not but the only problem is when I talk, the input is not coming from my headset microphone... rather its coming from the built in microphone located all over the laptop. This laptop includes 2 aux ports, of which appear to be 1 for audio and one for microphone. My problem is that my headset has both, but only 1 aux cable. I've tried enabling the microphone / line in device and it doesn't work. This is quite annoying to deal with. Please help.

Note; the headset mic, works perfectly fine on all other devices.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 8th, 2017 13:00

when I talk, the input is not coming from my headset microphone...

Hello. sorry , but please rephrase the problem, and keep in mind that "input" goes into the microphone, and from the mic into the laptop. Audio "output" is the opposite, and comes out speakers or headphones.

Could it be that when you speak into the mic, you want to hear yourself in the headphones?.Or are you saying that the internal microphone is working, but not the headset mic?

ather its coming from the built in microphone located all over the laptop.

Sorry, but once again the terminology is odd. Your laptop has mics all over it? I'm not trying to be picky, but ...

My problem is that my headset has both, but only 1 aux cable.

If you are saying that your headset has a single PLUG, that combines bith the headphones and the mic into one, then it is a smart phone type of headset. The newer Dell laptop have combo jacks which are meant to be used with that type of headset, but not the older laptops. Headsets traditionally had two plugs.

Dell Precision

Need to know the model -- there are over 30 Preciscions, and some are very different from the others. If it's an older one, the model name will start with the letter M, then some numbers.

Also please say which version of operating system you are using, such as Windows XP, 7, Vista, etc.

2 Posts

June 8th, 2017 14:00

Sorry for my odd way of terminology. I made this really late at night.

Anyways, to answer your questions.

As it appears my laptop has built in microphones in not just one location. When I was mic testing I tapped all over my laptop and it got loud in multiple places, so I concluded that it has multiple microphones built in, located in multiple places. Though that point is kind of not needed.

My issue is that my laptop has 2 ports, one for Audio output, and one for Microphone input, but I have a turtle beach gaming headset which has a microphone attached into the headset. But to answer your question, yes it has one plug. one plug for both audio output so I can hear through the speakers on my headset, and microphone output. When I plug this cable into the audio output it doesn't let me use my microphone.

Sorry for the way I'm wording this.

Model: M4500

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 8th, 2017 15:00

When I was mic testing I tapped all over my laptop and it got loud in multiple places, so I concluded that it has multiple microphones built in, located in multiple places.

On the M4500 model, the camera was optional. If you have the camera, there are 2 mics, one on either side of the lens, at the top of the display bezel. Those mics are built into the camera.

Dell might have put an additional mic in the base of the laptop, for those who didn't want to order the camera, but if so, it is not mentioned in the documentation. I have a Latitude E5420 that has the additional mic.

When I plug this cable into the audio output it doesn't let me use my microphone.

That's correct. The solutions are:

> Get a separate mic and plug it into the mic jack.mic.

> Get a traditional style headset with the 2 plugs.

> Get an adapter. Here is an example of one at Amazon (I am not personally endorsing it). It's an adapter that has a TRRS jack socket on one end, and 2 TRS plugs on the other.

The plug on your headset is a TRRS plug, and would go into the TRRS jack of the adapter. The 2 TRS plugs would go into the respective TRS ports of the laptop.

No Events found!