Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

December 6th, 2007 12:00

Help!! No Password, No Access

I have a D400 notebook which my child changed the password and has no recollection to what she changed it too.

How can I gain access to the notebook when it doesn't have an internal cd-rom drive, no floppy drive and does not recognize the attached CD-rom drive via a USB cable.

I have no problems re-intalling the OS if that is my only option.  I have changed the boot sequence in the bios but the cd-rom drive still doesn't recognize the boot disk in the drive.

Any help or recommendations is greatly appreciated.

1.9K Posts

December 6th, 2007 12:00

Is it the windows password or a BIOS password?

It makes a big difference.

pcgeek11

26 Posts

December 7th, 2007 02:00

Since you have access to the BIOS to change boot sequence, its not a boot password. At the prompt for your password, hit ctrl+alt+del twice. Enter Administrator for the user and if you never set the password for admin, hit enter. If that does not work, try booting to safe mode and logging on as administrator? If it does have one a password, it could be your original password. I recently accessed my GF's XP machine this way when she forgot her password. Admin was set with my password since I had changed it when I installed the OS.

If that does not work, and you have no way of booting, then you may have to remove the HD. You can use a kit available at most higher level tech stores that will allow you to use it as an external drive. Then attach it to another PC. From there you can either wipe it or boot the other PC with a Linux distro that will have XP password tools on it. Don't remember the name of the Linux disto you need, but a Google search should find it.

Message Edited by Axim_X51v on 12-06-2007 08:52 PM

2 Posts

December 8th, 2007 13:00

Windows password
No Events found!