Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

March 7th, 2015 23:00

Help!!! Suddenly lost sound on my Dell Celeron N5010 Laptop.

When I click Volume Icon it says " audio services is not running."  I would appreciate some insight and assistance.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 8th, 2015 07:00

" audio services is not running."

Hello. If you have a Windows operating system then Windows Audio Service has to be running to get any audio.

Go to the Windows search box (or Start>Run depending on your version of Windows) and type services.msc then hit the 'Enter' key (or click 'ok'). The Services window will appear.

Scroll down until you find "Windows Audio" towards the bottom of the list. Check that it is enabled, set to automatic, and running. If it isn't, double click on it and change the Startup type to Automatic, then click Start, Apply, and OK.

If you need more help please reply back with the full model name of your laptop. I don't know of a 1585 model so include the name of the line (Inspiron, Studio, Vostro, XPS, Latitude or Precision) and the model number, plus the name of the operating system the laptop is running.

7 Posts

March 8th, 2015 11:00

Hello Jim. I have a DELL Inspiron 1500 series. It is run on Windows 8.1 operating system. I tried your 
solution and I was blocked by a message that said " The endpoint is a duplicate" it was an errror code. 
Error code number - 0x800706cc. Any further suggestions would be much appreciated. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 8th, 2015 16:00

I have the exact same problem.... The Windows Audio is turned on and I re-started it, but to no avail.

You are also getting the error message " The endpoint is a duplicate"? If not you should start a new thread to discuss your laptop's audio issues.

If you need more help please provide the full model name of your laptop.There are 6 Inspirons in the 3000 series.

7 Posts

I have a Dell Inspiron N5010.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

" The endpoint is a duplicate"

I'm afraid I don't know why it is giving you that error. I would try removing the audio driver (most Inspiron 15's have a Realtek driver) and downloading and installing a fresh copy from your model's support page.

If that doesn't fix it then you might have to perform a system recovery to fix it.

I have a DELL Inspiron 1500 series.

That narrows it down some but there are 2 dozens Inspiron 15 models.

I have the exact same problem. My model # (purchased like 2 days ago) is DELL Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop. Running WIndows 8.1

The Windows Audio is turned on and I re-started it, but to no avail. I still have no audio whatsoever.

March 8th, 2015 17:00

does the above help?

Jim:

MY model is [tag:3541]

7 Posts

You have to talk to Jim. He is the one who is advising me. 

Here is my laptop specs:

March 8th, 2015 18:00

While waiting for Jim to look at this - I tried removing the OEM manufacturers device and rebooted.

The sound works now....

Good luck!

7 Posts

March 8th, 2015 19:00

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad you are up and running. Unfortunately, we have two different models. I may try rebooting later, but not yet. 

7 Posts

Hi Jim there was two high def speakers. I tried both of your suggestions twice. And I still have no sound. If you can think of something else I would be thankful. If not I understand.  thank you for the assistance thus far. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

I have a Dell Inspiron N5010.

Here is the support page for the Inspiron 15 N5010, however Dell does not support Windows 8.1 on that model.

You have IDT audio hardware in your N5010 laptop, but because Dell does not supply an 8.1 IDT driver for your model then I guess you have been using the Windows native audio driver which is named "High Definition Audio Device".

Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc into the Windows search box) and expand the Sound, video & game controllers category. If there is only one "High Definition Audio Device" there, right click on it and then click Update.

If there are 2 "High Definition Audio Device" in Device Manager, right click and uninstall both, then restart the laptop.

No Events found!