Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2011 11:00

Help deciding between XPS laptop 17 and Alienware 17?

I've finally saved enough to get a new laptop, but I'm undecided on which of these is the better choice (more bang for the buck?).  I play games mostly, and find my older 1720 isn't quite making the grade on some of the newer games (have to play with everything cut back).

Have an XPS 17 i7 8gb ram, 1tb hd, 3gb Nividia etc.. in cart, but also looked at the Alienware 17... it runs higher in price, but everyone seems to think they are best for gaming?

Anyone have either of these and why do you like it?  Which would you suggest?

thanks much, any help appreciated!

dh

3.6K Posts

May 7th, 2011 12:00

I just had a L702X that i sent back it was a system exchange i did not keep.

1)The hybrid graphics,could not figure out how to get the program set to run just the nvidia chip(it was constantly wanting to use the intel chip and consequently,the graphic programs would not function.This will be the same in the Alienware as it uses hybrid graphics also.

2)XPS 17 L702X>All of the standard connections that i did have on my previous laptop(expresscard,Firewire,VGA,etc...) are non existant in the newer line.Only Display port,E/SATA,Powered USB,HDMI.You need to make sure your peripherals can connect>I'm sure some of the connections will be the same on the alienware.

3)The screen i had i went from a 1920 x 1200 TL ,to a AG Matte screen on the L702X(this was NOT pleasant to look at)and the max screen res. is 1920 x 1080.This is with all systems now no 1920 x 1200 res. screens are present in gaming,or consumer grade systems any longer.There are 2 different screens used in the new XPS unfortunatly i had the worse of the 2.

Make sure you choose the system carefully,DO NOT get the AG Matte screen on the XPS,If you are getting the 3GB nvidia GT 555M you will get the better screen.Don't forget to check on your peripherals make sure they can connect to one or the other that you choose.

No Events found!