Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2014 09:00

Help....laptop will not boot.

Hello, I have a Dell XPS M1530 and today it has decided to stop working!! When I try and turn it on...the Dell logo appears and the progress bar moves approx 1 cm and then stops (image attached) the fan is going and the harddrive seems to be making a noise too.  The only thing that seems to work is the power button, if I hold it down for a few seconds it will power down. I have tried swapping the ram around, and tried pressing various f keys as I switch it on but nothing has helped.  Any ideas?? 

1 Attachment

June 17th, 2014 14:00

Hi Jmunday,

Welcome to Del community Forum, First thing what I would request you to do is disconnect all the devices connected to the computer like any external HDD or any other devices connected to the laptop and also disconnect the AC adapter and the battery.

Press and hold the power button for about 30 second and then connect the battery and then try to power on the laptop. If you are still facing the same issue Press and hold the power button for about 5 sec and the laptop will shut down and then Press and Hold the Fn + power button it will run a diagnostics on the laptop.

If it gives an error message make note of the complete error message and press “Y” to continue testing. Let me know the error message so that I can help you further.

Please keep us posted on the results.

2 Posts

June 18th, 2014 08:00

Hi sandeep, thank you for your reply unfortuntaley it hasn't helped. I followed your steps through to trying the diagnostic but when I do that it comes up in the right hand corner "diagnostic boot selected" but the freezes again. 

Jon.  

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 18th, 2014 10:00

Sounds like you have a bad mainboard - this model is not worth that major repair.  Put the funds you'd spend for a replacement board toward a new system.

No Events found!