Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2017 17:00

Hissing sound on headphones using audio jack for XPS 15 9560

Hi,

I'm here wondering if there is a known issue with the headphone jack for the XPS 9560.

The speakers seem to work OK.

The rest of the laptop seems to be mostly problem free with the exception to the Wifi card. I am currently troubleshooting the wifi issue with tech support.

With regards to the audio from the headphone jack, I seem to be hearing a slight static sound intermittently when using the headphones.

It doesn't matter if the audio is set to 2% of 100%, the hissing sound, when it appears, is always just as loud. I've done most of my testing at volumes between 2% and 10% (100% would really hurt my ears when listening to music).

In either case, static sound, from the headphones seems to appear from time to time, and lasts anywhere from 30 seconds -2 minutes with pauses between 30 seconds and 2 minutes as well.

It appears with the power adapter, the TB16, or simply on battery.

The hissing sound that appears really makes using the laptop an unpleasant experience.

When I use my headphones with the TB16, the hissing sound does not appear.

Is there a known fix for this issue?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

September 20th, 2017 04:00

Hi fasdflaksdjfl,

Thanks for posting.

Here is a possible solution posted by another user which may or may not be helpful for you

"Just the one precaution you need to make is to let the laptop boot and THEN plug your headphones because if you are booting up with your headphones plugged in, you will hear some loud pops (this only happens until the laptop runs all the drivers, so I wouldn't worry about it too much).

OK what you want to do is: 1. Double-click on the Windows logo key and click on Device Manager. 2. Go to Sound, video, and game controllers and look for the realtek audio driver. 3. Then double click it and select update driver. 4. Select "browse my computer for driver software", then select "let me pick from a list of available drivers in my computer". 5. Uncheck the option "show compatible hardware", and a list should now be present. Scroll down until you find Microsoft. 6. Scroll down in the Microsoft tab and select "High definition audio device version..." (just select the first one which is supposedly the latest one). 7. Click next, and warning should pop up, click yes and the driver should now be installing. 8. That's it! You are now using Microsoft's driver."

September 20th, 2017 14:00

Hi,

Thanks Robert,

I just tried that, unfortunately it doesn't help the problem. The hissing with the Windows drivers is still there.

It is quite bothering seeing as this replacement computer came a few weeks ago. I have stopped listening to music from the computer since the hissing sound makes it too unpleasant.

Do you have any other ideas as to what might be happening?

Mark

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

September 21st, 2017 08:00

Perhaps a call to Tech Support for further troubleshooting?

September 21st, 2017 08:00

Thanks Robert,

I've tried before. They are focused on the issue with my wifi card. The killer card seems to be giving blue screens often.

I have a feeling a driver update is probably needed from killer.

Because of the wifi issue, they are not focusing on the audio issue. They thing they are related, but this happens even if i put the laptop on airplane mode.

I've been on the phone with them for many hours now for a multitude of issues.

Mark

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

September 21st, 2017 11:00

You can escalate your issue by filling out an Unresolved Issues Form:  http://dell.to/2xqbchd

No Events found!