Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2013 00:00

How can I get a copy of Windows XP Service Pack 3 to reinstall?

Hi, my Inspiron 6400 laptop has suddenly slowed down really slow. Connection speed, downloading even typing is painfully slow. I've been told my Wndows XP service pack 3 which I installed recently may be unstable and needs to be . So I need to get a copy of it to download again. My warranty has expired. What is the best way please? Just typing this post has taken over 6 minutes, because mylaptop is so slow.

Thankl you

9 Posts

January 30th, 2013 00:00

I meant to say  "I've been told my Wndows XP service pack 3 which I installed recently may be unstable and needs to be re-installed again using a more stable version. So I need to get a copy of it to download again. My warranty has expired. What is the best way please? Just typing this post has taken over 6 minutes, because mylaptop is so slow."

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

January 30th, 2013 01:00

Hi Hando68,

May I know the issue you are facing with your computer? Please share the exact error message.

I would suggest you to run the diagnostics on the computer to check the hardware functionality.

To run ‘Dell Diagnostics’

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the computer, press F12 on the Dell logo
  • Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu
  • Please refer to the link if any error code shows up http://dell.to/OUGnqT

Please reply if you have any questions.

9 Posts

January 30th, 2013 05:00

Hi Appu,

thanks for your reply. I have already run the diagnostics before and found no problems. It is really strange. There is no exact error message, except that I get unresponsive script error messages occasionally.

The main problem is that the speed of my computer will suddenly slow down. The connection speed when I am on facebook or some other website will be very slow, and even downloading/installing programs will be extremely slow. And then sometimes the speed will return to normal. and then back to slow again.

This all started when I had to reinstall windows XP Service pack 3 after my computer developed an error during reboot. I installed a Windows XP Service Pack 3 cd I burnt and now I am told that that burnt version may be unstable and causing the slow down. so I need to find a stable Windows service pack 3 and reinstall it.

Can you help me?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 30th, 2013 06:00

You can get the XP SP3 offline installer from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

9 Posts

January 30th, 2013 08:00

What's the difference between downloading it for free and paying for it?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 30th, 2013 08:00

You can also order a XP SP3 PATCH CD from microsoft.

No Events found!