Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2017 09:00

How do I connect an Inspiron 7737 to a Dell P2815Q monitor (with USB?)

Hi:

I have connected the monitor to the laptop with an HDMI cable and the monitor says there is no signal in the HDMI port. Then (a couple of minutes later), the signal is received and the monitor shows what I have in my laptop. However, this is intermittent and the signal is lost and restored. This happens sometimes when I’m opening a new program or the program I’m using starts to use more resources from the processor. I already have installed the monitor driver for Dell P2815Q. I’m using Windows 10.

I’m thinking that maybe I will have better luck with a USB 3 cable. What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Javier

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 15th, 2017 11:00

USB would mean DisplayLink, which has a number of drawbacks compared to attaching the display to an output directly controlled by the GPU, such as possible compression artifacts and/or motion judder during times of high CPU and/or USB utilization, or simply when large portions of the display area are changing simultaneously.  Additionally, due to a Windows limitation, your GeForce dPGU would not be able to accelerate any content displayed on a DisplayLink-attached display.

But about your specific issue, given that you're trying to run 4K, have you tried just swapping the HDMI cable?  Not all HDMI cables are equal when it comes to pushing very high bandwidth.  That said, I don't know if that system's HDMI port will even do 4K @ 60 Hz, since that requires HDMI 2.0 and most Dell systems I've seen have only had HDMI 1.4, which would limit you to 4K @ 30 Hz or 1440p @ 60 Hz.

December 15th, 2017 12:00

Hi jphughan,

Thank you for the reply. The Inspiron 7737 has an HDMI 1.4 port. My video card is a nVidia GeForce GT 750M, which has a DisplayPort Multimode Support up to 3840x2160. I talked to Dell technical support, and they told me that they would need to run some troubleshooting. My laptop connects well to my 1080p TV. It's possible that there is an issue with the monitor itself. I will run some tests tonight.

thanks again. I learned a lot from your answer.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 15th, 2017 13:00

Hey Papa,

I think you mean DisplayPort Multi-Stream (MST), not Multi-Mode, but the resolution your GPU supports over DisplayPort is irrelevant if you're not actually using DisplayPort, and it sounds like you're using HDMI.  The resolution also doesn't specify the refresh rate allowed when that resolution is in use.  If you have HDMI 1.4, you can't do 4K @ 60 Hz over HDMI, simple as that.  Also, if your system has both Intel integrated graphics AND the GeForce GPU rather than only the GeForce GPU, then the GeForce GPU's display resolution support is completely irrelevant in all cases anyway, since it wouldn't actually be wired to the display outputs to begin with.  With only very rare exceptions like the Precision 7000 Series models, laptops that have both Intel and discrete GPUs in them have the discrete GPU set up as a render-only device that passes completed frames to the Intel GPU, which is the only GPU actually connected to the display outputs.  As a result, you're limited by what the Intel GPU would support, as well as the bandwidth limitations of whatever specific output you're using.

No Events found!