Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

7 Posts

July 15th, 2005 17:00

How do I display to TV with Lid closed on Inspiron 6000.

I purchased the Inspiron 6000 with Windows Media Edition with the hopes of watching movies and playing music on my television/stereo.  It works when the lid is opened, but if I close the lid, the notebook puts everything on halt and cuts off the TV display. 

Is there a way to display to the TV, and close the lid of the notebook?  Every other notebook I have ever owned allowed me to do this (HP, toshiba).  I do believe I had to change a setting in the bios of the other notebooks to allow for this.

As for the windows power settings.  I did go into the power settings and set it to do nothing when the lid is closed. 

The display adapter is the Intel integrated video.

*It seems kind of ridiculous for the notebook to have the media control buttons available when the lid is closed, if you can not use them anyways.

164 Posts

i'm sorry, i didn't remember that part,

1) what power scheme are you running? always on, max battery, or anything else?

2) there is I believe a switch in the bios to adjust this, could you let me know...

7 Posts

I do not believe you read my post.  I already tried that.

"As for the windows power settings.  I did go into the power settings and set it to do nothing when the lid is closed.  "

164 Posts

in display properties (where you change your screen saver) click "power" in the bottom right corner, click the advanced tab, in the middle it says "Power Buttons", "When I close the lid of my portable computer:" select "Do nothing".  That should do it

7 Posts

July 15th, 2005 21:00

Ok,

I tried a few more things.  There are no settings in the BIOS that I can find to fix this issue.  I tried changing through all the power schemes with no affect.

With the TV plugged into the S-video and the display on the TV only.  I put on an mp3.  When I close the lid, the mp3 pauses for a second and then keeps playing.  The TV display turns off.  The system is apparently not going on standby, but the video card is turning off.

When I reopen the lid, the display pops up on the notebook LCD, but not on the TV.  There has got to be a way to display the Inspiron 6000 to a secondary screen with the lid closed. 

I wonder if this is a flaw with the Intel Graphics card.  Has anyone tried this with the ATI radeon x300 or the Nvidia 6800 card on an Inspiron 6000 notebook?

3 Posts

October 23rd, 2008 00:00

Wow! I have the exact same problem.  Everytime i close the lid, the feed to my TV gets cut off but the sound still continues.  Its rediculous that the feed would not persist on the TV, did someone not figure this out when designing the video card?  Besides that I have another problem, when i close the lid, my resolution is reduced from 800x600.  I checked the other threads for help but all they talk about is TMM, which is a vista issue, but I have still using Windows XP.  I have the lastest drivers so I do not understand why the screen is doing that.  Any responds from the Dell community is appreciated.

340 Posts

October 23rd, 2008 03:00

Have you tried selecting the external monitor in the display settings as your default monitor? I have not tried this, but I would guess that you want to have the system desginated to the external monitor.

You might play around with the 2 checkboxes in the display settings under the monitor selection.

7 Posts

October 23rd, 2008 03:00

It was actually a problem with only some of their lines of notebooks around the time of my post.  The problem existed with certain notebook/videocard combinations. 

The ignorantly stupid problem does not occur on any of my newer dell notebooks.

No Events found!