Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2013 17:00

How do I know that Drivers & Downloads has identified all of the drivers and what order do I install?

I just bought a Dell Inspiron i17R laptop.  It replaced a Vostro 1720 which suddenly died on me due to what appears to be a dead fan.

I want to ensure that I am running with all of the latest drivers, however this is not my area of expertise.  I went to the Support section and loaded in my Service Tag and had the Dell site perform what appears to be an identification of all of the drivers.

I should mention that the computer came with Windows 7 Home Premium.  I needed to have it running with WIndows 7 Professional, so I wiped the drive and loaded my full license Win 7 Pro OS and thereafter, followed the instructions to load the drivers from the Del Drivers disk.

I was surprised to see that there are so many drivers that were already outdated on the CD from Dell.  In any event, do I download all of drivers, without exception from the website?  If so, in which order? 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

February 17th, 2013 21:00

I don't trust the Drivers and Downloads... Inputting a Service Tag over the last 2 years often yields an incorrect/incomplete driver set. I suggest selecting by model and downloading drivers without a download manager.

See this guide, I list the driver install order:

http://philipyip.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/windows-reinstallation-guide-02-02-2013.pdf

I have been requesting for years that they list drivers in the correct install order and mark variants. I have also been complaining about the state of drivers and downloads which seems to become less functional in comparison to how it used to be.

No Events found!