Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2010 20:00

How do I know which part to buy?

I have a Dell XPS M1530 laptop that has stopped working. It will not power up at all. First question is, any suggestions as to what might cause this problem? I know the power pack is good so it's not that. I have heard that it may be the motherboard, but I need to know for sure before I go to that expense. Second question, how do I know what motherboard to buy if that is the problem? When I put my service tag number in to Dell for replacement parts I get 6 different motherboards ranged in price from 400$ to 800$. Will any one of these boards fit? Can I just go with the cheapest one? Or do I need a specific one for my particular system? 

263 Posts

February 11th, 2010 09:00

Can't answer the first question but to the second. If you can go back into parts for your tag #, open the motherboard section. On that page is a live chat. Give it a try and maybe they can look up your configuration from your service tag number and tell you what is in yours now.

Hope this helps. Good luck

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

February 11th, 2010 10:00

The XPS M1530 has a separate power board that plugs into the motherboard. This is much cheaper than a new system board. What is causing the problem is difficult to diagnose. You will need to try the power board and hope for the best. 

There are utilities which will identify our system board. Try CPU-Z. The ident for mine with the 8600GT video is OR387D.

February 11th, 2010 14:00

Well, if the computer won't power up, how can I use CPU-Z? I'm working on a backup Dell Dimension 4400, and CPU-Z only tells me the aspects of this computer. But thanks for the info anyway. 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 11th, 2010 15:00

The Dell part number will be on the board near the memory modules - it'll start with DP/N......  The ..... string of numbers is the Dell number for the board.

If it's the jack that's the problem, that is part of this daughterboard:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=5400

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

February 11th, 2010 16:00

Sorry, my brain was suffering from neuron deficiency anemia. 

How did you check your power supply? Can you borrow a similar supply to test with? If the green light is on, you may still not have juice at the plug. Dell supplies seem prone to wire breakage. If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage between the outer and inner contacts on the DC plug. Have you tried booting on just the battery?

As I said before, you only need to replace the power board, not the whole system board, although the problem could still be with the system board. I don't know why Dell doesn't have this configuration for all laptops. Unfortunately, you still need to remove the system board to get to the charger board.

No Events found!