Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 27th, 2012 15:00

How do I turn off touchpad?

I have tried to turn off the touchpad on my Dell Inspiron 9300 without sucess.  I am using windows XP.  What I have tried is clicking on the touchpad icon on the lower right bottom of the screen.  I then select Touch pad.  But there is no disable box or option.

I need to turn this off since I am having problems with the touch pad and now have an external mouse which works well.

2 Posts

January 27th, 2012 20:00

Press Fn+F3. This should disable the TouchPad.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 1st, 2012 08:00

Unfortunatly there are no hotkeys to disable the touchpad.  If Quickset in installed correctly hitting FN and F3 will turn on the battery meter.  The notebook should have an Alps touchpad.  Go to control panel, mouse,  select the touchpad tab.  Make sure that the box for "Tapp off while Typing" is checked.   Click the "Touch Sensitivity Button" and set it all the way to low.

TB

1 Message

July 8th, 2012 13:00

Hi. I have an Inspiron 1440. I can't figure out how to disable the touch pad. There is no "touchpad" option in the mouse or pointer function under "Control Panel".

2 Posts

August 20th, 2012 21:00

You can render the touchpad inoperative by simply taping a piece of clear plastic over the surface of the pad. The left and right buttons will still function, but in my case the left button (and a single tap of the pad) had ceased to operate anyway. I tried updating the touchpad's driver to no avail. As such, I've reverted to a old-school USB mouse. This is a stop-gap measure until I order a replacement touchpad from PChub (http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/70-27049-4461/Dell-Inspiron-9300-Touchpad-Track-Point-Track-Ball.html).

1 Message

May 13th, 2013 07:00

I have a Inspiron 6400 running XP.  When I go to "mouse" in the Control Panel there is no tab for touchpad.  Do I need to load a driver?

1.3K Posts

May 16th, 2013 16:00

Hi mhneuman,

Please click on the below link to download the touchpad driver. Also find the snapshot on how to disable the touchpad.

http://dell.to/13zQd5Q

July 10th, 2014 23:00

My touch pad is so sensitive, I taped down a skymiles plastic card and it will still track. I put a second one and if my thumbs touchdown, it is difficult to say where my cursor may relocate to. It isn't even a stop gap for this computer.

July 21st, 2014 21:00

With Windows 7 on a Dell 1440, those options are not available. This was once a very easy fix, whatever happened to simplicity. I have even gone in and disabled drivers for the touchpad, that did not work. A "quickfix" as someone put it was to put a plastic card over the touchpad and tape it down. I have 2 airlines frequent flyer cards there and it is still giving me fits. I put an alcohol wrap between the two cards and it still will jump. It appears to be getting worse.
No Events found!