Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2010 14:00

How on earth to know which driver updates are needed?

With a new Inspiration N7010 I was rather disappointed that with came the instructions to go to Dell software and enter my Service Tag to get an accurate list of drivers to update the laptop. Even more I was a little lost with the rather long list, but went ahead and downloaded them. When a driver refused to proceed saying it wasn’t relevant I realised the list of drivers was anything like an accurate list of drivers needed. This was reinforced when the laptop locked up and I had to do a reinstall.

Now I am more than a little worried as to what updates to ever trust from Dell. My old HP laptop was checked from the HP update site and was no problem. There were e-mails informing me if an update was available and how important it was. But at Dell I find confusion, not something I expected.

Is there any way of actually telling which drivers are needed or is the only safe thing not to update anything?

26 Posts

November 9th, 2010 16:00

Hi John

I have my own problems with the Dell download manager.  In my case I need opengl video driver but their download manager doesn't work on my system.  I too thought it would be like HP.  It isn't...  HPs download manager is a million miles more advance than Dell's.  I would only try to download drivers from Dell if a software application requires it.  Just stick with the windows updates unless you want more problems and to pay Dell software support team more money to fix things.

11 Posts

November 9th, 2010 17:00

I feel your pain, but have no answers.  I've had this Dell Studio 1558 for a month now, and every SINGLE day, I find there is something I cannot do anymore because of Windows 7.  I never, ever had a problem on my last Dell Inspiron running Vista.  When I had Vista, I could get any new or different electronic device, plug it in, and it would just WORK.  Now, with Win 7, I can't get my Canon digital camera to download photos anymore, can't get Windows Media Player to sync with my Samsung NEW mp3 player, etc. 

This is a shiny, fast, lightweight computer, but what is it good for?  My passions are music and photography, and if I can't get drivers, I will just return to using my old Inspiron, and just use this shiny new Dell for surfing the Internet or something. 

I'm also finding that I can't even listen to a radio station on the new Win 7.  I COULD do it once, but when I went back to the site, everything looked normal, but Active X couldn't be found, although it is ON THE HARD DRIVE OF THIS COMPUTER.

There seems to be (with me anyway) a total disconnect between the computer and Win 7.  I wish I could have gotten Vista with this computer.  I may have to pay someone to help me remove Win 7 and install Vista.  Otherwise, this computer us of little value to me.

If you solve your problems or get anywhere with them, please post.

No Events found!