Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2013 07:00

How to clean fan in Dell XPS L502x ?

Hello.

I own a Dell XPS L502X and it is a year old.
I am suspecting dust build up around my laptop fan and I want to clean it up (the fan and the vent).

Would you please tell me how I should open up my laptop to do this?
I'd want to dismantle as little as possible.

Any tips would be very useful.

Thank you.

3.3K Posts

July 4th, 2013 08:00

Hi _sachin_,

Following are the tips to clean Air vents and fan:

Clean Air vents:

• Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  • Turn off the System
  • Remove all power sources: Unplug the AC Adapter and Remove the Battery, or Unplug the Desktop Power Cord.
  • Use a compressed air can to blow the dust out of the vents. Be sure to hold the can at an upright (near 90 degree angle) and hold it 15-20 centimeters (6-8 inches) away from the target.

http://dell.to/ZzAfcz

From the above link click Manual and Documentation and then Service manual to access Memory reseat/remove section.

Before Opening the chassis, I recommend you to remove the battery and disconnect the adapter, press and hold the power button for few seconds and release to drain the flea power.

****NOTE: Please ensure that the power cable of the computer is disconnected before opening the chassis. Refer to the Service Manual for assistance on removing or replacing the internal components of the computer.

****NOTE: Reaset the memory if you are comfortable doing so.

Awaiting your response!

14 Posts

June 23rd, 2014 16:00

Actually you don't have to open it at all, just turn it off, remove battery, disconnect from wall.

Once that is done, get a can of compressed air, you can buy it at Staples, or wherever they sell office supplies.

install the tube onto the nozzle of the air can, then keeping it vertical, lift up your computer and blow air into the fan outlet located on the left rear corner of the laptop as you sit in front using it. 

Do that back and forth until no more dust comes out, you may all want to blow into the small square grill on the bottom left side of the computer of the computer.

After you may want to open up the screen and blow air into the keyboard, a lot of stuff falls in there during use.

Do that around every six months, shorter if you use the computer in dusty areas.

ONE NOTE... you may want to do this outside because of the amount of dust you may be just blowing back into your environment.

If it's too clogged then you will have to open up the computer, but I've never seen where you have to do that.

I'm an IT Consultant, been working on PC's since the early 80's...

No Events found!