Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 2nd, 2017 08:00

How to connect 2 monitors to single Inspiron HDMI?

Hi,

My Inspiron 7657 laptop comes with a single HDMI port. How do i connect 2 external monitors to it (I dont want a duplication on each screen)?

It comes with an nVidia GForce 1050 Ti graphics card, which supports DisplayPort, HDMI and DL-DVI. But there's only a HDMI port exposed on this laptops side :/ 

Any help?

Thanks,

mit86

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

August 3rd, 2017 12:00

As stated above, HDMI does not support multiple displays out of a single port; that's only available with DisplayPort.  You CAN use the USB-based adapters, but be aware that they are NOT quite the same thing.  They use what's called a DisplayLink chip that basically uses your CPU and GPU to compress image data for transmission over USB, which is then decompressed by the adapter and sent to the display. This has a few ramifications.  First, the display will sometimes feel sluggish and/or reveal compression artifacts when large portions of the display area are changing at the same time, even when you have USB 3.0 and a fast CPU and GPU. This isn't an issue if you'll be using this display for Web browsing, email, etc, but gaming or full-screen video would not be advisable. And second, battery life will drain noticeably more quickly due to increased CPU and GPU activity.

Note also that this does NOT apply to USB Type-C adapters, since Type-C connectors actually have a real DisplayPort output wired to them, so THOSE adapters would be absolutely equivalent to connecting to a DisplayPort output.  But it looks like your model does not have a Type-C connector.

Helpful video to add - 

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

August 2nd, 2017 09:00

Hi mit86, 

Thanks for posting.

Since that computer only has one HDMI port, you would need some type of dock.  An adapter wouldn't work either as it will support only one monitor at a time.  You could use one HDMI and one Display port at the same time.  http://dell.to/2uYOeuN

12 Posts

August 2nd, 2017 15:00

Hi Robert, thanks for your reply.

There is no DisplayPort out on this laptop and I don't believe this laptop has docking capabilities (unless you know otherwise)?

Could I use one monitor through the HDMI and a second monitor via a USB 3.0 -> HDMI adapter (as my screens input is HDMI)?

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_1_2

Thanks,

mit86

12 Posts

August 2nd, 2017 15:00

Hi Robert, thanks for your reply.

There is no DisplayPort out on this laptop and I don't believe this laptop has docking capabilities (unless you know otherwise)?

Amazon has a: "Plugable USB 3.0 to VGA / DVI / HDMI Video Graphics Adapter for Multiple Monitors". Could I use ONE monitor through the HDMI and a SECOND monitor via a USB 3.0 -> HDMI adapter (as my screens input is HDMI)?

Thanks,

mit86

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2017 04:00

I've been unable to locate the documentation on the Inspiron 7657 in my database. Did you purchase from the USA?

Could you send me your service tag number in a private message so I can research this further?  Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2017 07:00

I'm not very familiar with products outside the USA, so maybe a call to Dell Sales would be more helpful, but searching the internet, I see the  Dell D3100 - Docking station is designed to work with the 7567.  Perhaps that might be what you're looking for.

12 Posts

August 3rd, 2017 07:00

I must apologize Robert, i made a typo. The Inspiron is the 15 7000 series model 7567! Not 7657.

Any help?

Thanks

12 Posts

August 4th, 2017 05:00

I think this seems reasonable. I plan to have my laptop always plugged into power with the lid shut, and viewing 2 external monitors. So for the USB adapter to consume some more juice for its operation, seems like a fair exchange. I don't game, mainly use it for music production, so fast moving graphics a shouldn't pose an issue. I think i'll use the Plugable USB device mentioned above, as the Dell docking station is relatively expensive in comparison when i have a powered USB hub already.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

August 4th, 2017 08:00

Great, good luck!  Fyi I've used those adapters myself in some cases and they're very convenient, as long as you use them within their limitations.  I'd also always recommend getting the latest available drivers from DisplayLink.com, although if you're running Windows 10 Anniversary Update or newer, they'll be automatically downloaded by Windows Update the first time you connect the adapter.

12 Posts

August 7th, 2017 03:00

The Plugable USB adapter works a treat! So i have one screen connected via the only HDMI output on the laptop, and the second screen connected via the USB adapter. Not the tidiest solution with 2 leads coming out of my laptop, but the suggested docking station could be a potential option in the future (hopefully).

No Events found!