Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2009 22:00

How to enable input monitor on Inspiron 1318 ?

I have just bought the Inspiron 1318, with a Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio and I want to know how I can enable the Line Input, because I need connect my guitar and listen to it on real time. I have read in other posts, similar problems, but I can't find these routes in regedit... They aren't the sames...

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 21st, 2009 05:00

If you have an external X Fi sound card in your Express Card slot then monitoring should be enabled. If it isn't then I would go to Creative's site to download a manual if one didn't come with it.

If you have Creative X-Fi MB Software Suite then your audio "card" is the Sigmatel audio chip on the motherboard using an IDT drivers. There has been no method posted on this board of a way to enable monitoring when an IDT driver is installed. I'm afraid if that is the case and you have to have monitoring, you would need an external sound card.

4 Posts

June 21st, 2009 08:00

I don't have anything in the ExpressCard slot, so I have the Sigmatel card, as you have said.

Do you mean that the only way is to buy an external card if I want to enable it? Before this, I didn't know the function of the ExpressCard slot... As I have read on the web, you can use it to connect a card that will look like hardware... Is it true?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 21st, 2009 14:00

I don't know of any other way you can get monitoring. This is an example of an Express slot sound card:

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=17988

But you could also use a cheaper usb sound card and still get monitoring. Before you get any sound card you will need to research it to be sure it has the features you need to have.

4 Posts

June 21st, 2009 19:00

Ok. Thanks, I'll investigate a bit more about all this things...

Thanks for all.

4 Posts

July 3rd, 2009 09:00

I have just found the solution to this problem and I want to share it for everybody...

On Windows Vista, the input monitor is muted by default. The problem is that Vista may not display the option of unmuting line-in or the microphone in the GUI.

SigmaTel and SoundMax are just two of the brands, usually on Dell computers.

Right click on the speaker in the system tray (lower right-hand corner) and select "Playback Devices" to check if the Input Monitor function is accessible.

You can either create a reg file with the text below, or create the binary value yourself.

Here are the contents of the .reg file you can import to fix the problem:

Windows  Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings\filter\SpeakerHp]
"EnableInputMonitor"=hex:01

Input Monitor is now visible, can be toggled, and works after adding the "EnableInputMonitor" key to the registry and rebooting.

Good luck !

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 8th, 2009 06:00

Thanks. I have edited my thread, How to enable input monitoring, to reflect your discovery. Up until now I had thought that the Registry modification would not work on a laptop model that used an IDT driver, which is why I did not refer you to those instructions. Thanks again.

No Events found!