Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2017 06:00

How to install the fingerprint reader on a Latitude E7270

I have installed the "Dell ControlVault2 Driver and Firmware" that was found under "security" in the driver & download section for my E7270.

All devices in the device manager of my Win7 show that they are correctly installed.

But there is still no fingerprint function. Windows Control panel says: "The selected fingerprint reader has no managemnet application installed".

I then tried to install the Dell DDP Protected Workspace software that was also found for my E7270. This program took a long time to actualize itself, then asked for a sort of licence code, which I don't have. After starting it again, it worked a long time saying it downloads something. Then it deleted the program files. Windows stated that it still is installed, but when trying to deinstall it, a lot of error messages appeared ending up with a partly destroyed software database, so I had to recover the system using imaging software. It seems that the DDP software is extremely buggy.

How do I get the fingerprint reader working?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 8th, 2017 08:00

Make sure you ordered the Optional Touch Finger Print Reader when you bought the computer. It is not standard on your model. The Drivers and software will be listed in the download list for your model but might not apply. The fingerprint reader will work right away without downloading drivers if you ordered it.

1 Message

March 8th, 2017 08:00

You need to install the application named "Dell Data Protection - Security Tools" (DDP|ST) which you'll find on the Dell download site for your notebook.

Your laptop should have also come with the "Dell Digital Delivery" software that should periodically prompt you to install various Dell software, including DDP|ST.

3 Posts

March 9th, 2017 07:00

Searching for Dell Data Protection for my model on Dell's support site lead to an installation file named "Dell_DDP_Protected_Workspace_A01_4.0.0-18189_W732W764-W8.132W8.164_ZPE.exe". This software behaved very badly and finally destroyed the software data base (Control panel > Programs ..) meaning that even the deinstallation process lead to a bunch of errors. I am not trying this again, because it cost me some hours of valuable working time.

A program named "Dell Digital Delivery" is not found in the programs list. What I am using right now is Dell's software "Support Assist" that checks and updates drivers and other programs.

To answer the posting by Mary G.: This notebook is provided by our IT department in a large institution, so I can not control the purchase process.

3 Posts

March 13th, 2017 02:00

Is there no solution to this problem?

No Events found!